Interface function replication

I would be interested in a follow-up by Epic on this one as well! Please :slight_smile: !!

Hi all,

Sorry we missed this one! Itā€™s hard for us to track posts that arenā€™t bugs right now because weā€™re such a small team, but Iā€™ll be talking to network team about this and see if I can get one of them to give a thorough answer. Thanks for your patience so far, and please continue to be patient as I round up some answers for you.

Thank you, !

Yes thanks . Iā€™d be happy to know if simply removing replication from interfaces was an oversight that will be reintroduced or if it was removed for a reason.

Do you think you guys could come up with a simple, clear case for how youā€™re using this, and what youā€™d like it to do? A test project to reference would be nice, too, if possible. Iā€™m not sure that thereā€™s a way around this, since in editor Blueprint Functions arenā€™t set as RPCs, only Events are. I may be misunderstanding use-case youā€™re shooting for, though. Thanks!

I have since used other methods, but on a general sense RPC interfaces would help to skip making custom functions to get interface called on clients and such.

Well documentation is a bit off which might be causing some confusion in itself. In Other Consideration section of interface user guide it states

You can use Replicates checkbox for any Interfaces containing functions that need to replicate across server. This is found within Details tab by first clicking BlueprintProps.png button.

I provided a example way back that you did reply to and provided a work around but that work around caused a cast to player controller. This means that I would need to set up cases for different types of player controllers with that functionality. Think player one is a hero and player 2 is an assistant (Similar to Child Of Light) So in that example, what would be work around if different unrelated player controllers had to use same interface.

In interest of entertainment, Lets sing a song.

99 bottled up bugs on Trello, 99 Bottled up bugs.

Make a fix, write patch notes,

98 Bottled up bugs on Trello.

Hi all,

After a lengthy conversation with our blueprints and networking teams, it sounds like this is a bug. Functions themselves canā€™t be replicated, but interface events should have same options for replication available to them as custom events. I have entered a bug report (UE-16910), and Iā€™ll post here when I see any update on it (or if they determine this is, in fact, by design, in which case Iā€™ll get as detailed an explanation as to why). Thanks for your patience!

Thank you very much . With that in mind Iā€™ll be able to put off creating custom modifications and digging through piles of network code.

Did you ever find a way of doing this ?

I donā€™t think so. I have been using a combination of RPCā€™s and interfaces.

Any news guys? Really needing this myself now.

An efficient looking workaround would be to have replicated event call interface. That way you can separate other network things (checks) before you call interface.

Same results just think of it as an opportunity to refactor efficiently.

Page 67: http://cedric.bnslv.de/unreal-engine-4-network-compendium-released/

4 years later and this hasnā€™t been fixed?

ā€œAfter a lengthy conversation with our blueprints and networking teams, it sounds like this is a bug. Functions themselves canā€™t be replicated, but interface events should have same options for replication available to them as custom events. I have entered a bug report (UE-16910), and Iā€™ll post here when I see any update on it (or if they determine this is, in fact, by design, in which case Iā€™ll get as detailed an explanation as to why). Thanks for your patience!ā€

What is actual state on this? It was officially stated as bug, but still canā€™t set a interface to run as ā€œMulticastā€ or ā€œon Serverā€. This would make sense to not having ā€œcast toā€ or to make one more unnecessary function call.
Any updates on this after years?

Haha! I just stumbled upon this and found that UE-16910 is still unresolved:

I can still not set replication options in events implemented from interfaces, can I?

Sadly it seems interfaces with direct replication properties are still not supported. But as workaround your use a interface and after interface can call needed event with replication properties set as you want. But yes, with this workaround you have to call one event/function more as needed. Also I think with replicated interfaces for event BPs would be sometimes better readable.

This shall never die

Hello from 2022 is this still not resolved?

1 Like