Interested in hearing people's stories coming from other engines.

Hey guys, I want to introduce myself as I had in the past. I had previously used Unity as my main engine and I still really like it. I had never tried Unreal though, but when I saw the new price offer I figured I would give it a try. I am definitely not dissapointed. Its been like 3 months or less, and I am still learning ALOT everyday. I wouldn’t say I am fluent in Unreal by any sense of the word. I was wondering if you could post your story here. I would like to know 1)What engine were you using before 2)What made you come to Unreal 3)How long you have been using Unreal 4)and how “fluent” are you in making what you want, and how long it took you to get there. I understand the last point has a lot of subjectivity to it, but just give it your best shot! Can’t wait to hear from you guys!

I have just finished writing part 2 in a short blog series ‘Unity vs Unreal: Choosing an engine for Space Dust Racing’ in which I cover our experiences in Unity and UE4 so far.
In Part 1: Adventures Unity, I mostly concentrate on Unity 4 and a few of the issues we faced, mainly on the rendering side.
In Part 2: The Unreal Deal, I introduce some of the benefits of UE4 and go over a couple of our initial findings.
In the final part I will be going over the remaining big ticket items that helped form our decision to switch over to Unreal Engine 4.

So to cover your points:

1. Unity
  2. A bunch of different reasons (see the blog posts :P)
  3. Since public release/GDC 2014
  4. Still learning different aspects of the engine but our vertical slice is coming together nicely!
  1. Unity (mainly)
  2. The main reason was that I wanted to pratice my C++ programming skill. And it looked **** good!
  3. Maybe a month or so.
  4. I still consider myslef new. I was stuck several time, but no longer than a day. I worked on mainly on gameplay mechanics and I didn’t try yet AI, HUD, multiplayer, and many other things. But I’m optimistic :slight_smile:
  1. Custom implementations mainly
  2. Because writing a complete engine from scratch is very hard, and UE4 is exactly what I wanted, a full featured engine with complete source access
  3. 2-3 Months
  4. I feel very confident in implementing custom rendering code, such as custom meshes, shaders, etc. and am building up my skills in general gameplay code/blueprints.
  1. I just started using Unity for fun but I come from a scientific programming background.
  2. I wasn’t happy with Unity free and the Pro license was just too expensive. Also, I wanted to learn C++. Unfortunately I fell in love with blueprints.
  3. 2-3 months.
  4. Things get better every day. The first two weeks were really tough but now I feel really comfortable with blueprints. I still did not dive into most of the graphics features. Just enough to test gameplay features.

Thanks, I’ll definitely check out your blog series.

1. Unity for gaming, various other systems for apps
  2. Cost. Got a team trying to put something together that will maybe become our new day jobs, but there’s only so much risk we are willing to put into a long shot.
  3. 3-4 months
  4. Still consider myself quite new for UE4. Just when I think I got something I learn how wrong I was :slight_smile: Omg, not even gotten into the animation bits yet so I’d wager another 3-4 months if the UE4 roadmap stays close to true. But for other engines (languages) easily all the design stuff as long as I’ve got the reference API handy. I can’t draw worth a ****, so leave the graphics to others.

Yeah thats why I am hoping that Unreal will get an asset store like Unity has!