Interaction between actor blueprint and child 3d widget component (UE5.0.3)

Hi, I’ve got a bit of a problem I’ve been trying to solve, and would appreciate any help!

I have 2 main elements, an actor blueprint and a 3d widget component within that blueprint. I’d like to play a predefined animation on the 3d widget by entering a box trigger within the actor blueprint, using the overlap event to trigger an event to play the animation from the widget blueprint.

I have added basic custom events to the widget blueprint itself to trigger these animations, and can call them in the primary actor blueprint itself, but I am unsure at so how to target the 3d widget, or if I’m doing this correctly at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

WidgetComponent is not the widget, so you need to extract the widget itself from it first and Cast it to your widget class.
Use either [GetWidget] of [GetUserWidgetObject] node, I don’t remember which, see what works, and Cast it to your TrainInteractScreen, then you’ll be able to call the Pop In Widget function.

2 Likes

You’re a blessing, thank you so much for your help, I’d been searching for a while on this but your explanation has not only worked but also made casting finally “click” in my head

Thank you again!!

2 Likes