Interacting Objects (E) and Doors: Works For One Object Only

It worked, but the objects would destroy each other if I pick another after I’ve already picked up one. I couldn’t find a way to make it work both, and pick-able objects, and key-triggered door.

Ah, because the door is a second object…

Yeah, it’s kind of interactive too, so if I stop interactive objects from being picked while one is already picked, it applies to the door too, and I’d like it to remain active somehow.

It seems a shame to invent a whole new system for the door. There must be a simple way to make the system do:

if not holding object → pick up

if holding → if pointed at object is useable then try held object → otherwise swap objects

Something like that.

If you wanna put up a link again, I’ll take a look, maybe later today ( your previous link disappeared ).

Yeah, I’d love to, but someone flagged my messages as spam, so I removed the links. Is there any ways I could send you the link directly? (I’ve uploaded updated archive)

You can PM me ( I think ).

How can I do it… can’t see any button to send a message…?

Click the icon ( my icon ):

Ah, I see. I’m level 0 user yet. Can’t do it. Hmm.

Ah, well just drop a link in here again I guess. I wonder if it was removed on auto?

It was hidden as flagged as span, I’m not sure if it was auto or not… hmm…
[Link deleted]

Ok, got it, you can replace it with a blueprint picture… :slight_smile:

Oh, hold up. Now I can send messages. :slight_smile: No spam triggers, yay! (Sending the link to file in cloud storage in DM)

But to keep this topic useful for other people as well, I’ll attach blueprint pictures anyway.

Here’s the blueprint of FPSController in its part when it allows to interact and cancel interactions with object. I’ve added validated get following some of YouTube comments under the tutorial I’ve posted in starting note, and it helped me to pick only one object and time and avoid destruction of other objects.

But it can’t help with the door to work while holding the key…

Ok, this works. In the character, this is the new way to do interact:

and in the ItemParent:

This means you can’t interact with something if you’re holding something, which kinda doesn’t make sense.

I think you might fall into problems a bit further down the line though.

The door should also be derived from ItemParent, because it’s something you interact with. So… meh… but this will work.

1 Like

Hey!

If you guys don’t mind I would like to pitch in with ideas… just for the sake of debate. :innocent:

@ClockworkOcean think gameplay tags could be useful as a way to know what to do with the item?

I mean:
Trace → Check traced actor gameplay tags:

• Interactables
    – Common
    ----CanPickUp
    – Quest Items
    ---- Key##

So if door needs a key, check tag of item player is holding, if tag == Key##, destroy item and open, else print “Key## required”.

This way instanced doors can be unlocked with specific instanced keys as longs as they have required tags ticked.

If grabbing item and interact with door are same button:

• Grab item →
    – if door hit: check tags
    – if intractable hit: swap item
    – if nothing hit: drop item.
1 Like

Wow! Works like charm! Thank you VERY much, @ClockworkOcean. Now it’s really - just works. Thanks again!

1 Like