Interact Hints -- Using Widgets or Text Render?

Hello,

Does anyone have any tips on how to include interaction hints (similar to what was used in the Resident Evil 2 Remake)? For example, if I go up to an item that can be picked up/used/etc., then I would like to use something to indicate that it is something that can be interacted with. I have watched videos with “Press ‘E’ to Interact”, but I would like something different (like maybe a hand image or something of the sort). Thanks in advance!

I recommend trying out a widget component on the object set to screen space. you can have it visible or hidden based on when the player gets close enough to it.

311454-widget-indicator.gif

How can I set it to hidden? I tried using a trigger box, but it isn’t working. Maybe that’s what I need, but I’m messing up the code.

You could use a blueprint interface for this that has a simple bool value that is passed. the indicator is set to not visible at the beginning of play, and then any time it receives a message via the InRange interface call it sets the visibility. The player has a sphere collision on them that simply messages things as they come into range and leave range.

Do I need to do something special within the interface? Because nothing shows up at all when I enter the sphere.

Be sure you have implemented the interface on the blueprints you want to respond to message, this is how you get the red event version of the message:

If you are unfamiliar with blueprint interfaces I recommend this tutorial, interfaces in general are fantastic and very versatile: [Blueprint Communications | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube][2]