Intel Workstation Build for UE5 - Powerful enough? Limitations?

Hello guys,

Couldn’t find an IT/Hardware category in the forum, so posting here. Hope that’s alright.

I am a professional working for the entertainment industry (feature film) as an environment artist, and I am upgrading my pc setup to get into UE5. You can check the whole build here: https://es.pcpartpicker.com/list/T2PmjH

Basically, the system is an Intel Alder Lake 16 cores, 128GB DDR4 and 4060ti 16GB.

Provided that I am new to UE5 I was hoping I could get some of your expertise when it comes to performance on this type of build. What do you guys think I can expect regarding performance and do you foresee any limitations?

I am planning on building big environment scenes with lots of assets. I guess I would hope I can use it for VFX rendering at 4k.

Thanks in advance!

If you can’t do it with that rig, there aren’t any other options.

Unfortunately, nobody can sidestep the need to optimize, unless you’re thinking of rendering entirely offline.

It’s still totally possible, with a large area, Megascans assets and the foliage tool, to bring the system to its knees in under 5 mins :slight_smile:

I could always go for a higher option with the latest Intel Raptor Lake with 24 cores - 192GB DDR5 and a higher gpu. But that increases the budget dramatically and I am not sure that is necessary. That’s why I wanted to get some feedback, specifically from people that works with the software on a daily basis and with big environments.

1 Like

Your original spec is fine.

If you can bring that system down, you will also be able to do it to the Raptor Lake.

The main things, probably, are GPU and RAM.

Once you’re into 40 series GPU, only more VRAM will help. Plenty of system RAM is good too, but diminishing returns after 64GB.

Optimization usually can’t be avoided, especially if you’re going for photo realism.

1 Like