Instanced static meshes and collision

Is it not possible to have collision on instanced static meshes? I have a blueprint the generates a fence made up of instances for each section. I’m unable to get any collision working for them. I’ve tried setting collision everywhere I could think of with no luck. The static mesh has a collision box defined for it and I’ve tried the various options for collision (complex and simple). Nothing seems to work.

Hi Whammy,

I too am wondering this as I’ve tried and tried to have my instances trigger OnHit() and OnOverlap() to no avail.

Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Hi Whammy,

I’m using HISM and ISM actors in my current project and havent had any issues with collision at all. You mentioned that the mesh being instanced already has collision - what about the actor that holds the ISM? Did you check the collision setting on the actor spawning the ISM?

Things to check:

Drag the actual mesh to your level and check collision first (not instanced, just the actual mesh to your scene)
Change the mesh on your ISM actor and see if something as simple as a cube has collision
Make sure collision for the mesh and ISM actor is on “Block All” to see if collision is being triggered

If nothing works, post your Blueprint and mesh setup for us to take a look :slight_smile:

Hi MC1RScorpion,

This has worked for me as well. First make sure you enable “Generate Hit Events” on your ISM actor (the actor spawning the ISM meshes). Once you confirm Hit is being triggered (use a print statement), then you can break the hit and there will be an integer called Index (I believe). This integer represents the index of the ISM instance on the component.

So for example, You have 5 ISM meshes in your scene. The OnHit event will trigger when you hit ANY instance. However, the value “Index” will represent the index value of the specific instance being hit. So if you hit the first instance you placed, the value of Index will be 0.

From there, you can do whatever you want knowing which instance was hit.

im having the same problem till today in UE 5
instanced mesh collide well with the rigged (( Car Body )) ,
but not with the wheels of the car,

the wheels go inside the ( instanced mesh Floor ) and stock there , they spin when you hit the forward key
they rotate as well but they inside the floor and the car can’t move

the same mesh when using it alone without instance the car wheels run normal on the standard mesh

when i enable visible collision in the viewport you can clearly see that normal meshes have collision and instances does not

in this model the generated instanced meshes are on the right side of the screen
the normal mesh are the one in blue color , which a color created by the " visible collision option"

i have tried every possible scenario i can think of nothing works

1 Like

Go your content browser and enter the static mesh. In the static mesh browser on the top bar, there is a collision button with a dropdown arrow. Click that and add simple box collision (assuming that is the collision you’d like the road to have)

1 Like

I have the exact same problem with my vehicle and city sample map. Have you solved the wheels problem?

Did you end up finding a solution ? I have the same issue.

Thank you very much for that tip, it helped me to solve the problem.