Instanced Meshes are Useless

To save a great deal of resources, I instanced all of my static meshes in my game. I did this by select all>Actor>Merge Actors>Batch

I noticed that once I did this, I lost the ability to do anything with my meshes other than duplicate and transform.

I have a great deal of them that I like to re-use and move to sub-levels to stream them as needed, but now that I’ve done this process, I noticed I can’t move meshes between levels. Is there any way to do this that I am missing, or is there a way to reverse it other than restoring from a way old save?

1 Like

If you open two copies of the editor, you can find the ‘actor’ ( the root actor ) and copy and paste this between levels :slight_smile:

When you instance them, the default is not to replace the source actors, but just hide them. I guess there’s the very small possibility they are just hidden?

Ahh its good to be back in business with ya sir! I hope all is well with you. Also thanks for being the first to answer my very first post on my new profile haha!! So is it copying the root actor between levels that allows me to bulk move copies of that actor between levels? I.e. if i have the root actor in all of my sub levels, i should be able to also copy the instances to sub levels?

1 Like

If all else fails, rdBPtools on the marketplace has a tool for converting instances back to actors.

Likewise :star_struck:

Yes, copying the root copies all instances, but at least you can remove the ones you don’t want in the destination level.

1 Like

I gave this a shot. Copying from my persistent to a sub copied everything that was instanced. I think i screwed things up when i was instancing.

1 Like

30 bucks? Maybe not a bad investment. Ill give it a go and let you know!

1 Like

Just bought it but did it to my old account so i cant install to engine. Can you refund and i will buy with the right account. I already submitted refund request.

P.s. i already own and frequently use rdTEXtools. Is that you too? If so, i look forward to what rdBPtools can do!

1 Like

Yes, if you’ve submitted the refund request they will process that. If you want, you can join the rdTools discord and I’ll DM you a link to download for now.

Yes that’s me :slight_smile:

Nah i dont mind supporting you. If they are processing then ill just buy it now on my real account

1 Like

Yes, it will copy all the instances, and then you have to remove the ones you don’t want :wink:

My problem is that i went to outliner, typed “sm_,” and instanced everything. :cry:

1 Like

Yeah, there is a downside… as you have discovered :melting_face:

Im hoping this tool will work i just got my refund so when i get back to the computer im gonna give it a try

2 Likes

I found out that if you select any actor that is instanced, there is a button to “promote actor” just between the details pane and the outliner. I stumbled upon it by accident. I wish the UE documentation was easier to navigate, but you cant find anything unless you know what you’re looking for. Anyways, i thought id post this here in case someone else comes looking.

3 Likes

:rofl:

1 Like