Installing plugins into Unreal Editor for Linux

Installing plugins into Unreal Editor for Linux

I would like to use the glTF exporter plugin in my Unreal Editor 4.27.2 installed in Ubuntu 20.04. The plugin docs say it supports Linux.

The trouble is, there doesn’t seem to be an Epic Launcher for Ubuntu.

Question: How would I install an engine plugin from the marketplace into Unreal without the Epic Launcher?

PS: I found this post from 2018. I am hoping things have improved in 4 years.

Nope. Launcher still only a Windows product.
But Lutris let you get Launcher and Download the assets. The issue of the plugin is that it can only be installed on top of the engine. And then it can be extracted:

UE_4.27\Engine\Plugins\Marketplace\GLTFExporter

Allar was workin on such frontend:

Thanks for your reply @S-ed.

Are you saying that I can download and install the plugin in Linux using Lutris?

Else I would say to install the launcher on another windows machine (local or cloud) get the plugin and then copy it back onto your linux.

For glTF we are discussing to put it into the engine code but that will not come for 4.27 or 5.0.

If you are really struggling I will put the plugin on a box folder and share the link with you.

Hey @UE_FlavienP,

Thanks for your reply; copying the plugin directory into the Unreal build was on the right track.

I needed to rebuild Unreal (running the make command), and that built the Linux binaries for the glTF plugin.

Yep. It will allow you to install Launcher.

1 Like

I got pointed to this solution too:

3 Likes

Thanks @UE_FlavienP and @S-ed

Some useful resources for Unreal on Linux on this thread. :slight_smile:

1 Like