Installed Build is too large

I compiled the Installed Build Engine from source code of UE5.1 using the following command:

Engine\Build\BatchFiles\RunUAT.bat BuildGraph -target="Make Installed Build Win64" -script=Engine/Build/InstalledEngineBuild.xml -set:WithMac=false -set:WithMacArm64=false -set:WithAndroid=false -set:WithIOS=false -set:WithTVOS=false -set:WithLinux=false -set:WithLinuxArm64=false -set:WithHTML5=false -set:WithSwitch=false -WithDDC=false -set:WithWin32=false -set:WithLumin=false -set:WithPS4=false -set:WithXboxOne=false -set:WithHoloLens=false -set:GameConfigurations=Shipping

I’ve tried different -set:GameConfigurations settings, but they all result in about 90GB, which is far more than the official 30GB:

I compared the engine files of the Epic launcher and found that there are many more large binary files:

FolderComparison.txt (423.0 KB)

This problem has been going on for a long time in different engine versions. The newer the version, the bigger the Installed Build is, which is not conducive to release.
How can I compile the Installed Build Engine with the same size as the official version?

Well, the solution is to delete all “.pdb” files:

@echo off
setlocal enabledelayedexpansion

set target_directory=LocalBuilds

for /r "%target_directory%" %%f in (*.pdb) do (
    echo Deleting "%%f"
    del "%%f"
)

echo All .pdb files in "%target_directory%" have been deleted.

endlocal

After deletion, the package size is less than 30GB, which means that the engine does not contain debug info, and cannot package C++ games, but it is very suitable for distribution to artists

2 Likes

Hi, when we compile the installed build engine from source code of UE5.1, how do we prevent the generation of pdb files ??

I’m not sure, it may not be possible to prevent the .pdb file from being generated, I can only delete it through the .bat script mentioned above

I haven’t tried it, but per the docs here, if you pass the argument -set:WithFullDebugInfo=false it should prevent .pdb files from being included in the Installed Build.

Just tried my previous post, seems that even with -set:WithFullDebugInfo=false it still includes .pdb files in the generated LocalBuilds folder :frowning: