Installation on University Systems

Hello team and other educators,

we got our requested keys in the last days and i wanted to say thank you first for your awesome support in the education sector. We really appreciate your support here.

After reading through the faqs and threads i still have one question.
We are having different rooms which are equipped with stationary PCs to our disposal. Different professors are teaching different gaming and programming classes in these rooms.
I am now preparing to set up these PCs for Unreal development. We wanted to use a lot of the licences for these rooms to install Unreal stationary so every student who needs to work on projects during classes or homework can work there. As your licences now are more like subscription time licences i am unsure on how to register the accounts.

Should i register an account for every workstation we want to use Unreal Engine (and use our Universitys adress etc.) or am i allowed to only give the keys to some students directly? We would most likely to use the licences stationary and give out a few to some very promising students which are writing on their Bachelor- or Master-thesis or other university projects related to Unreal Engine and game development.

Thanks for your time and keep up the good work.

The codes are tied to an account (email based). So it’s up to you if you want to set it up as a per student email or per workstation email. Whichever way works best for you and your student workflow - go for it :slight_smile:

Thansk a lot !
We are really looking forward to see the students create something nice :slight_smile:

So are we! :smiley:

I think I understand how the per student email would work. The students register the one-year subscription codes with their Unreal Engine Account and when they launch UE4 they login to their account to use the program.

But have still have 2 questions;

1. How do we do the initial install of the software at the University Lab since the students don’t have install permission on university PCs? Do I just use my own one-year code and install UE4 on the Lab PCs, since I have administrative install permission?

2. I’m wondering what you mean by a “workstation email”? Do we just create a gmail or yahoo email for each PCs and use these emails?

I think that this will help to answer your questions about classroom deployment:

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Unreal_Engine_4_-_Academic_Installation

There are two different ways that you can do the Lab/Classroom installation. The first is with the linked method, the other is what is describing, which is to make individual accounts for each computer with separate email addresses. Let me know if there is anything else we can clear up for you.