Install and Build Voxel Plugin on Linux

I am trying to develop on Linux platform and I understand there is no way to install plugins from the Marketplace directly on Linux. So I had a friend download the files on his Windows machine and then send them to me over the Internet manually as a zipped package.

I extracted the plugin package to the Engine/Plugins/Other sub-folder, deleted the Binaries and Intermediaries folders, then started the Unreal Editor. The Unreal Editor picked-up the plug-in and it appeared in the plugins UI. I enabled the plug-in and the Unreal Editor restarted to start rebuilding the plugin natively here. Unfortunately the Editor was not able to build the plugin with the following error message:

The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

Voxel
VoxelGraph
VoxelHelpers
VoxelNiagara
VoxelEditor
VoxelGraphEditor
VoxelEditorDefault
VoxelExamples

Engine modules cannot be compiled at runtime. Please build through your IDE.

I don’t really understand what the engine is expecting, perhaps there are Binaries and Intermediaries folders within those sub-modules that are confusing the engine as well.

Is there a clear path for building modules on Linux? where is the documentation for this?

Hey! Voxel Plugin creator here.

If you want to use the plugin on linux, grab the files directly from the github: GitHub - Phyronnaz/VoxelPlugin: Voxel Plugin for Unreal Engine

Then put the plugin in your project plugin directory (So you have YourProject/Plugins/VoxelFree/VoxelFree.uplugin).

That way, the editor will be able to build it on startup.

Cheers!

1 Like

Great! this did the trick. In fact I just created a new “Plugins” folder beneath my project and cloned the VoxelFree Git repo into it. Thank you!

I have tried to do this but form me doesn’t work! I have put all the folder that are on github, and put it in a Plugins folder in a Project path.
When I try to open the project is open one windows that say:
“the following modules are missing ot build with different engine version:
VoxelGraph
VoxelFoliage
VoxelNiagara
…
Would you like to rebuild them now?”
I click yes and another message say “Could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manualy”

I have also tried to rebuild with QTcreators but doesn’t work.
Some one can help me?

I have tried to do this but form me doesn’t work! I have put all the folder that are on github, and put it in a Plugins folder in a Project path.
When I try to open the project is open one windows that say:
“the following modules are missing ot build with different engine version:
VoxelGraph
VoxelFoliage
VoxelNiagara
…
Would you like to rebuild them now?”
I click yes and another message say “Could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manualy”

I have also tried to rebuild with QTcreators but doesn’t work.
Some one can help me

1 Like

I got the same problem. Still no solution.