Inside Unreal: Unreal Engine 5's New UX - October 21, 2021

WHAT
Unreal Engine’s editor has a wide range of tools, created by many different teams, and a lot of them have grown organically over time to meet different user needs. With Unreal Engine 5, the Editor UX team is working to not only provide consistency and improve the user experience across these tools, but also to build UI and UX APIs that make creating and customizing these tools easier for all teams extending the editor. Join us for an overview of the changes arriving with UE5 and for a first-look at how you’ll be able to use these APIs too!

WHEN
Thursday, October 21 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
YouTube

WHO
Lauren Barnes - Lead Programmer - @lrnbarnes
Louise Rasmussen - Senior Tools Programmer & UX Designer
Amanda Schade - Community Manager - @amandamschade

If you’re unable to make the livestream, all episodes of Inside Unreal can be viewed afterwards on-demand .

11 Likes

Hey just a nitpick, but the countdown you linked to is pointing to a week ago, was wondering how I missed all mention of this!

1 Like

Question: Is there any plans to re-allow docking of tabs on the very very top of the screen?

Lemme explain: The new UI has the menu bar above the tabs, and not below the tabs. Assume the UE editor is maximised on two screens. UE4 allowed quick movement of tabs from one window to another by grabbing the tab, and then just slamming your mouse to the top of the screen where you want it. No need to aim vertically the mouse.
In UE5 now, I felt that I lost that use. Now the tabs won’t dock to a window if I drag it to the top of the screen, I HAVE TO aim vertically, and release my mouse precisely at the vertical location of the tab.

It looks like nothing, but that’s 2 seconds of time lost fery frequently, and it will add up. I’d really appreciate if the UI would understand where I want my tab to dock, even with my mouse slammed against the top edge of my screen.

4 Likes

support vr lumen and nanite we are waiting

@Amanda.Schade Thank you so much!

At the beginning of the video, with the mentions of projects, learning material and market sales, it would be great if they were linked to here on the forum and or in the video description. Would make it a lot easier to check them all out.

Has The Editor UX team worked with The Blender Foundation ? Because the UI looks like that of Blender.

The reason we made this change when moving to UE5 is to become consistent with other applications, where the menu bar is above the tabs in pretty much all cases. We are still listening to feedback on this, but no change is currently planned. Thanks!

Which applications are you referring to? I could criticize these apps with the same logic, honestly. Plus, it breaks the visual hierarchy, causes the tabs DO modify the content of the menu bar above the tab bar.

UE4 was consistent will all major web browser’s tabs layouts, where the top edge of the screen is a valid tab docking location.

I cross my fingers that you’ll change your mind on that (or at least have a config to revert to the old tab bar location).

1 Like