Inside Unreal: Learning Motion Capture with Faceware

WHAT
This week on Inside Unreal we’ll be sitting down and discussing the use of the award winning motion capture software, Faceware! This incredible cutting-edge technology accurately captures facial performances and creates a reliable, but more importantly believable, facial animation baseline for any type of project you can think of. It’s been used in major AAA titles, beloved films, and picked up as an educational tool in several universities. Don’t miss out as we cover all of this - and how you can get started yourself.
Find more about Faceware here: Twitter, LinkedIn, Discord

WHEN
Thursday, March 17th @ 2:00 PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
YouTube

WHO
Gabriella Krousaniotakis - Virtual Production Artist - Twitter: @feedingwolves33, Instagram: @feeding_wolves, YT: Feeding_Wolves
Nick Jushchyshyn - Program Director, VR & Immersive Media at Drexel University
Jax Lee - Senior Animator at Industrial Light & Magic
Simon Habib - Lead Technical Animator at Eidos-Montréal - Twitter: @SiMoNiZe23, Instagram: @simonize23, YT: SiMoNiZe23
Deepak Chetty - Producer, Film/TV/Virtual Production, Unreal Online Learning/Epic Games - @d33ch
Tina Wisdom - Community Manager - @TheUnWiseTina

If you’re unable to make the livestream, all episodes of Inside Unreal can be viewed afterwards on-demand .

15 Likes

Definitely tuning in for this one!

2 Likes

Barely can buy an overpriced iPhone (third world countries and their taxes) for a facial mocap. Can’t imagine the final price of a $5,749 system. Probably it’d reach $12,000 easily in most third-world countries. Don’t get me wrong. Seems a cool system, but a distant dream.

For now, I do what I can with FrankMocap (free), iPhone, and Cascadeur (free). (Yeah, for poor devs like me, here’s the tip).

6 Likes

Opino igual… Soy de Argentina, y con nuestra economia y nuestra moneda devaluada, cada vez se hace más dificil acceder a la tecnología . Estaba intentando comprar un Rokoko, pero lo que es mortal es que para traerlo a Argentina hay que pagar UN 50% más, de Impuestos …

1 Like

:grinning: (captured)

1 Like

I created this product to help people with low budgets (like me). If you spend some time calibrating you can make renders that compete with the big boys.

2 Likes

They have actually just released an indie license, which drastically lowers the price for an annual subscription. The Faceware folks will be in the chat of the stream and can help answer with more detail.

2 Likes

really cool talk so far, I am really wondering alof of this technology for facial controls only seem to apply to metahuman I cant find really anything on doing the levels of controls on something that is user created not just meta human…

Same in Brazil, hermano :slight_smile: The taxes are abusive. It’s not Faceware’s fault, but the corrupt third world government’s fault.

(Sorry! I can read in Spanish, but can’t write in this language. It’d ended up something like “Portunhol” haha).

1 Like

Neat! I’ll check it out for sure. Thank you!

Thank you!

(I know that the high prices it’s not Faceware’s fault. It’s the corrupt third world country government’s fault. Importing goods to a poor country can reach exorbitant prices. That $ 5 K (indie price) turns into $15K in a third-world country like Argentina, Brazil, etc.).

As they explained, the problem is our corrupt government that charges 50% of taxes, our purchases.

1 Like

That is good to know since my options were “Buy a second hand iphone for cheap then spend $500 on software” or “Use any cam I got and spend $1500 on software”. Good to know the price has come down for indies… too bad I now have the iPhone :stuck_out_tongue:

For those really on a budget, though, any iPhone X or later can do facial mocap with the free facial mocap app Epic has on the App Store so just buy a $300 iPhone like I did and Bob’s your uncle!

an iphone X is $300 ish second hand
Live link face app is free
there is also a couple of VJ hand/head trackers that are free

1 Like

Not in my country. It’s over $300. But I’ve solved my problem with an RTX (that new 3050 poor man version XD Love NVidia again) and Audio2Face. Everything is working fine now (with a ton of free programs like Cascadeur, Blender, and Xbox Kinect mocap).
In the future, given the opportunity, I won’t hesitate and buy super cool things like Faceware (equipment+software). Seems we little guys have to prove our worth before playing in the big league. So be it ^^