Inside Unreal: Developing a C++ Gameplay Framework with Tom Looman

WHAT
Come watch the incredible developer Tom Looman at work as we run through examples of how to create C++ gameplay! Between great insight into some of his currently available courses as well as the opportunity to see how those techniques function in the actual game setting of WARPSQUAD, there are plenty of treasure trove tricks to put to use in your own toolbox.

WHEN
Thursday, February 3rd @ 2:00 PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
YouTube

WHO
Tom Looman - C++ Course Instructor - @t_looman
Amanda Schade - Community Manager - @amandamschade
Tina Wisdom - Community Manager - @TheUnWiseTina

If you’re unable to make the livestream, all episodes of Inside Unreal can be viewed afterwards on-demand .

23 Likes

Wow, great! Thank you guys!

1 Like

Wow, finally a C++ tutorial of some sorts! It is so hard to find one over the internet. Thanks a lot epic!
(P.S.) Can you do more of that in the future too please? Would appreciate it a lot!

5 Likes

I highly recommend everyone to watch. I have completed a Udemy course from Tom about C++ and Networking and it was a blast! He does know how to put things simple enough for everyone to understand and not making it boring to watch.

1 Like

Looking forward to this! Got a lot of stuff lined up to show off. You can post any questions here beforehand too, perhaps I can include them as part of the demo (will be taking lots of Q&A during the stream too)

12 Likes

I’m following his new course on C++ (I already get the older one from Udemy)

1 Like

One question Im curious to know your take on it is about modifying the engine to add your custom shader model vs do all the calcs in the post process.
I think you are doing the later, but I would like to know your take on it. I did the former, maintenance of your our branch is definitely a problem. But you also have better performance and more options (i.e. access to reflections)

Looking forward to the stream!

1 Like

Awesome! We could use more Unreal Engine content that highlights the benefits of Cpp (C++) :clap:t6:

3 Likes

Really excited about this!

2 Likes

Nice.

1 Like

just started your multiplayer c++ course on udemy excited to see what you have in store today !!

2 Likes

if you’re a total beginner, udemy might have some for you. I like the ones from gamedev.tv. There are others as well, check it out, always of course depends on your level you’re at :slight_smile:

Will you show a cheap method for saving performance and fps for how to shrink blue zone in C++ which will deal damage if the character goes inside?

I’ve considered modifying the engine, but the hassle has not been worth it so far. I can get everything I need with the post process only and performance (on 2080 Ti) is 0.2ms which is the same cost of 0.2ms for TemporalAA. I’ll eventually try it on lower end machines but I suspect performance will be fine and it simplifies the development workflow a lot relatively to custom engine.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot Naolin. Though i am fairly experienced with bps, I am a total beginner in coding with c++ in ue4. Again appreciate it!