Inside Unreal: Creating Fluid Simulation in UE5

WHAT
Next up in our exploration of UE5, we’ll be discussing fluid simulation! Niagara is jam packed with incredible features that can create stunning visuals, so come watch these magicians work as we discuss ways to bring any project to life.

WHEN
Thursday, April 21st @ 2:00 PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
YouTube

WHO

Devon Penney - Senior Physics Engineer - @dmpvfx
Devon Penney is the lead engineer for Niagara Fluids where he is passionate about bringing high quality real time fluid simulation into Unreal Engine. He was previously the Head of Engineering at the virtual reality storytelling startup Penrose Studios where he developed VR volumetric clouds and liquid simulations. Devon also spent 7 years at PDI/DreamWorks, working both as a Lead Research and Development Engineer and Effects Artist. He has published papers and given talks at SIGGRAPH, FMX, GDC, and DigiPro on a variety of topics including volume rendering and particle simulation Outside of his work in computer graphics, he is an avid rock climber, skier and surfer.
Dan Pearson - Product Manager
Dan Pearson is a Technical Product Manager focused on FX workflows within the Media and Entertainment industries. Dan has been working closely with the Niagara team for over three years as a TPM and a member of the Special Projects group. Before joining Epic, Dan spent 18 years working within the FX group at Industrial Light and Magic supervising on many projects such as Star Wars: The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, Star Trek: Into Darkness and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
Tina Wisdom - Community Manager - @TheUnWiseTina

If you’re unable to make the livestream, all episodes of Inside Unreal can be viewed afterwards on-demand .

34 Likes

Got a couple questions:

1: Can you give an example of how to setup different light types work other than directional lights?

2: Can fluid sims receive static and/or dynamic shadows?

3: Will there be official VDB support in the future?

If this is using the unreal water system I hope it explains mirror reflections. The materials with all the awesome customizations for caustics etc, don’t seem to work with reflecting objects, just the sky. Not really sure why honestly. However I can replace the material and it works so it’s not the water blueprints themselves, just the material.

No, this is Niagara fluid effects. particle systems etc.

Very very Excited for this!

Cool I finally am probably here for a live live stream :'D I even fixed my computer crashes from gaming and using ue at 3 o’clock in the morning (tip: do not have your SSD directly above the graphics card without proper cooling)^^… let’s see if I do not miss it still as happened too many times on other live streams :'D this would really be something I’m interested in, haven’t used niagara too often yet and if so only for small easy effects. NICE IDEA!! <3

3 hours 38 minutes before the broadcast starts!

Will this work in VR or stereo 3D?
Can we use multi-gpu simulation?
(not sli- multi gpu, like the nvidia fire sim)

1 Like

when i take the 2d waterfall fluid sim and use it in my project the particles react with occluded foliage … how can i have a gpu sim work independently from camera view?

Thanks for the amazing presentation, it was really insightful.

Quick question, I haven’t found much on the documentation about this but does Niagara supports network replication for realtime simulations ?
(For example with multiple players running in the same simulation system)

Or is it just intended as a local simulation, and the way to go is simply to replicate the actors and hope that the result will be the same on all clients ?

Had a question… There was a project Epic did few versions back w/a wood , metal & Ice sphere w/ a fire/water weapon that you could fire at the 3 spheres, burning the wood, heating the metal & melting ice into water & steam. Any chance of redo in future for UE5 using the newer systems?

Is it possible to make a fluid or fire/smoke simulation, using mesh as particles, and maybe make them dynamic using some blueprints?
And another question is, can i make a fluid simulation to make a fountain to look more natural? For example baking it and making it a loop would work?

Just watched stream! Amazing! Have few questions:

1. Can we reverse advect particles with smoke? For example to see smoke as sprites/meshes with ability to use custom material on every particle (like dots)?
  2. If first question is ok, can we use texturesamples for color?

I have found an issue when using the Movie Render Queue to render a fluid simulation.

For example, if I use any value higher than one for the temporal sample count in the Anti Alising section in MRQ, then the simulation looks nothing like it does in the editor, if I do not use Anti Aliasing option in MRQ then it renders as expected, but of course, I want multiple temporal sample counts for my high quality render.

Is there a way to stop this from happening without turning off the anti alising override option.

Cloth does this too but setting the motion blur to 1 fixed this issue with cloth.

It seems to me that the simulation is not taking into account the sub steps that the samples is creating, and is treating each step as a full frame, so the simulation ends up way faster in my renders than it should.

Thanks

Where did you get the idea for Niagra?
Which 3d animation package with fluid dynamics (like Maya Bifrost, Houdini Fluids, Realflow, etc, etc) do you think this is closest to?

I seen fire fluid simulation on stream, but what I wonder is: does it possible to emit light from it, because there was no light emitting in the demo.

Thank you Tina, Devon and Dan for the stream and answering my question was very helpful :raised_hands:

@Tina_Wisdom Can you follow up please?

1 Like

how do you make anime fluid simulations? Ideally better than Genshin…more like Guilty Gear strive quality or better