Inside Unreal: ChunkDownloader Explained

HI !!!
Chunk Downloader is working perfectly fine.
But I don’t seem to find answer anywhere about how to update same chunk after it downloaded.
I updated manifest with new version number and file size. Still chunk downloader always mount old chunk, it doesn’t download new chunk and replace it.
How to do that ?

1 Like

Any one ?

Unfortunately I’m having this issue as well, the only time it mounts an updated chunk is when I manually delete the Saved Folder, which I suppose shouldn’t be the way to make it update.

I hope someone can help on this. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve been searching for that for days, then i move on to other development.
Even answerhub is down for past few days.

There is one thing that might work, I thought it worked for me but i am not sure as i haven’t tested it again.
As i said i updated manifest and Pak on URL, then i keep trying to update it on application on same day. But on next day (After 24 hr), it did start downloading new pak on application when i opened it.
Still i am not sure that it was update or i manually deleted day before which i forgot.

You can try and let me know if answer to wait for 24 hrs. or date to change to fetch new manifest.
I cannot test it as i am no way near my pc.

EDIT : Nope not working even if i wait for 24 hr. May be i am banging my head so hard :joy: :joy:

Since I cannot update through chunk downloader, Can I delete chunk at runtime for any platform ?

anyone know how to update the chunk? Seem like i can’t either…I tried to add new files into variantA and tried to download Variant A in game editor and its not downloading but instead goes to a level with new chunk in it but not downloading the new chunk…

1 Like

Please, HELP !!
How to update chunk with chunk downloader plugins.

And if it is not possible then what if I use DLC patching system to download chunks, Can it work?
I am trying to patch mobile game but I don’t find any information about how to create manifest for DLC patch system as it begins with fetching “Remote manifest”.

I have searched lot about patching system in unreal engine on internet and I didn’t found proper information any where.

1 Like

any way to use the chunk downloader without implementing all the codes in a game instance? is because is causing conflicts in my project

thank you for your awesome work, I have problem with sample project download link and I’m sure that i am logged in !

The link is at the top of this post. I just checked it and it’s still working: https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/chunkdownloader-explained-project-files/158149

Thanks, this is a really awesome tutorial! But I have a some questions. UE 4.27.2

1. Asset Audit is not create chunks with my custom UPrimaryAssetLabel. What must be done to inherit from the UPrimaryAssetLabel class?

2. I created some test Data Assets of PrimaryAssetLabel with few assets.
    ChunkId 0
    ChunkId 5001
    ChunkId 100001
    ChunkId 1000001
    And I try opened Asset Audit. It took 10 minutes!!! After that, I tried to build the project and it took a very long time. Although I have ssd and i7 installed.
    I think, this because, the Asset Manager create all this millions files with chunk id. If you look in the directory MyGame\Saved\Cooked\WindowsNoEditor\MyGame\Metadata\ChunkManifest, you will find all these files. I have 1000004 pakchunk.txt files. And all not specified id are simply empty.
    Because of this, I had to decrease the id digit. Is this a bug or is there a way to exclude creating empty id’s?

3. And another question. In the …\WindowsNoEditor\MyGame\Content\Paks directory, I have an additional pakchunk0optional-WindowsNoEditor.pak file created.
    What is this file?
    In the Reference Viewer, I encounter collapsed nodes with multiple nodes. Is it related somehow? How to understand what these nodes are?

I would really appreciate your answers!

UPDATE:

1. I was able to use the custom label. It seems to me it’s all about Project Settings → Packaging.
    I enabled “Cook everything in the project content directory (ignore list of maps below)”. Maybe this is not quite right, because if the content is not used, it’s still placed in zero chunk. But this can be adjusted by excluding directories in the “Directories to never cook” list.

It seems to work that way.

Hello Victor! I am also getting the same error as others above, Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private.

Positive I’m logged in, as I’m posting this reply!

UPDATE:

1. I found how to see the collapsed nodes. For this purpose, the Reference Viewer has a corresponding “Search Breadth Limit” setting.

I am stuck on a loop on mobile packaging. For android i have disabled Package game data inside apk. and enabled generate chunks in the packaging settings. This gives me a small Apk and a large OBB. i dont want the OBB file since i want the content to be delivered through chunks. and the app doesnt work without the OBB.

The chunks are generated perfectly in the build folder inside the project. tried to look all over the internet for solutions still dont have one

Hello and thank for this great job.
Unfortunately, I get also the " Oops! That page doesn’t exist or is private." message when trying to access https://forums.unrealengine.com/t/chunkdownloader-explained-project-files/158149 ,
Kr,

2 Likes

I am also having this problem. It’s been a while since I’ve replied to you, but did you get a solution?

Hi sorry for late reply,
No i didn’t find answer. And i now i don’t intent to use it because I can’t seems to find any information about updating old chunk file. Instead I am using Pak loader plugin.

1 Like

@Heesun_Lee @HVS_RHS clear cookies, logout, and log back in and try again. I’ve had several users who wasn’t able to access the Asset Sharing category on the forums try to record a video, or grab logs, and the issue can’t be reproduced for them…

I’ve gone ahead and sent you both the link in a PM for now, since you’re clearly logged in to the forums :confused:

1 Like

Hi, @VictorLerp

your ‘ChunkDownloader Explained | Inside Unreal’

Through the video and demo project, I was able to proceed with the patch test using IIS and Amazon S3.

Thank you for this.

After testing, a question arises about the GetPatchStatus() function, It has been confirmed that this is expressed by adding the capacity of the downloaded chunk.

How should the Chunk (.pak) PatchStatus representation for a particular ID be done?

I’m not sure if it’s a good idea to modify Unreal’s built-in plugin, so I’ll ask.