Inside Unreal: Building The Art for What Remains of Edith Finch

WHAT
On this week’s Inside Unreal, we’ll be joined by What Remains of Edith Finch’s Creative Director Ian Dallas and Lead Artist Brandon Martynowicz, who will discuss the game’s development, sharing how—and why—they hand crafted hundreds of assets with only three artists. With an emphasis on storytelling within the environment, we’ll learn what their workflow and pipeline looked like, from design blockout to in-game assets.

We are thrilled to welcome What Remains of Edith Finch to the Unreal Marketplace Collection, where Unreal Engine creators can now use assets from the game, for free, in their projects.

WHEN
Thursday, November 12 @ 2:00PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch

WHO
Brandon Martynowicz - Lead Artist, Edith Finch - @bmart](https://www.artstation.com/bmart)
Ian Dallas - Creative Director, Edith Finch - @iandallas.com](http://iandallas.com)
Victor Brodin - Community Manager - @victor1erp](http://twitter.com/victor1erp)

RESOURCES
What Remains Of Edith Finch
Giant Sparrow
The Art of Creating a Game with Brandon Martynowicz
Barbara’s Room - Artstation Breakdown
Edith Finch prototyping process talk by Ian Dallas

ARCHIVE
Building The Art for What Remains Of Edith Finch | Inside Unreal - YouTube

This is great. This game came out right as I was getting into photogrammetry. It really cemented my view of what the Unreal Engine was capable of. It’s crazy this game came out so long ago. Oddly enough, I never actually finished What Remains of Edith Finch. There was a bug with the first build causing the final narration in the burned home not to play. I need to go back and complete it once and for all.

This was the first game I got for free when I joined epic games. I was absolutely floored at the story and how fun it was. I was always wondering why I had not heard of it … I guess that is the plight of games that are not from major studios. Good to see Epic games pushing others to the top.

I wanted to add… rarely any games I finish playing these days. I finished this one and wanted more. Will there be an Edith Finch 2? Unfortunately I don’t have a twitch account… why not YouTube? Ahhhh Now I gotta go find a way to watch on Twitch. :slight_smile:

We will upload the video to Youtube after soon after (normally within 24hours) the Livestream so that you won’t miss out! Though I highly recommend signing up for Twitch, it’s a good place to be- not to mention there are Inside Unreal live streams every Thursday and the Educators live streams every Friday. So a truckload of information and interactivity to be had :wink:

Looking forward to it. The game is one of my favourites and got me emotionally caught in a way no other game has done before.

You don’t need an account to watch it on Twitch - but you need one if you want to ask us questions!

Victor, the Edith Finch: Barbara room is currently broken due to a typo. There must have been a name change at some point because the maps are looking for the meshes in a folder called “EF_Barbra” but the actual folder is “EF_Barbara”. So all the references are broken.

Hey, im just wondering if the links on youtube?

Hasn’t been uploaded to YouTube yet but here’s the direct link to the recorded live stream clip: Twitch

Thanks @jkinz3, I’m following up!

Edit: This has been addressed already, delete your local content and redownload!