Inside Unreal: 2022 Epic MegaJam Kickoff

WHAT
It’s that time again, folks! We’re going to kickoff this years Epic Megajam with a talk with some of our incredible sponsors - as well as officially announce the theme! You can register to participate and find all the information about the Jam here, including rules, prizes and much more.

WHEN
Thursday, August 25th @ 2:00 PM ET - Countdown

WHERE
Twitch
YouTube

WHO
Rebecca Goodine (She/Her) - Artstation Community Manager - Twitter | Instagram | LinkedIn | Facebook
Andreas Hammann (He/Him) - Composer & Sound Designer - Official Website | WeLoveIndies Discord Invite
Banks Boutté (He/Him) - KitBash3D Co-Founder - Official Website | Twitter | Instagram
Tanner Kalstrom (He/Him) - CEO, GameTextures.com - Official Website | Twitter
Richard Cowgill (He/Him) - Ray Tracing Evangelist at NVIDIA - NVIDIA UE Plugins | YouTube
Skye Russel (She/Her) - Community Coordinator - @KeepItKnightly
Tina Wisdom (She/Her) - Community Manager - @TheUnWiseTina

If you’re unable to make the livestream, all episodes of Inside Unreal can be viewed afterwards on-demand .

7 Likes

quite excited for the jam!
I have question for the light it up modifier can we use Lumen or has to be hardware raytracing?

I’m pretty sure it’s not gonna be a requirement to have Hardware accelerated RTX, not everybody has a compatible GPU

“Use it or lose it”
It’s all about map, right? So if I prepare an atlas like 4096px with textures in it then it’s fine? I mean, not going to use it like that, but I do understand it correctly?
Also modeling meshes in Blender that use prepared UV to utilize such atlas is also fine, the limitation is only for map?
Map=texture? Can I generate textures from code for example?

EDIT: Watched the stream. 4096px atlas of whatever you want in it like normal maps, grunge, albedo etc. Not sure about putting like pre-generated noises to generate new textures in runtime

1 Like

Who’s this for exactly you’re own staff? Seriously who makes a game in a week, must be a bad game then with a few controls… no wonder there’s so many trashy games when you come up with dumb events like build a game in a week…

Sounds like this event is for you’re staff at Unreal because you’re editor is so confusing only you people could build something in a week and be any good, beside the fact nothing works and requires fixing if you migrate any decent assets into this engine from other editors.
You know what you can do is FIX THE BRIDGE TO DAZ3D it’s costing me money not having it work!

Is this for a sad free game, look keep you’re trashy little free weekly games, they are not worth the download let alone looking at, bunch of clutter these days clogging up the marketplace with trash that aren’t really games.

I have a better idea for a competition. How about BUILD A PROPER BLUEPRINT people can use as template for games instead of the garbage so called game templates you have there now like the third person rig that only runs in awsd directions with no actually gameplay. None of your silly templates offer anything good to a beginner nor do they offer anything to someone more experienced.

Employees,  officers,  directors,  agents,  and  representatives  of  Sponsor  (including  the  legal, promotion, and advertising agencies of Sponsor) and their immediate family members (defined as spouse,  mother,  father,  sisters,  brothers,  sons,  daughters,  uncles,  aunts,  nephews,  nieces, grandparents, and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and those living in their household (whether or  not  related),  and  each  person  or  entity  connected  with  the  production  or  administration  of  the Contest, and each parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, agent and representative of Sponsor are not eligible to participate or win.

From the rules

A week is plenty of time! Come build a game in an hour :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for asking! Game Jam’s in general have an awesome history that I highly suggest looking into, as it’s very interesting how it’s developed over time. They’ve been running strong for almost two decades now!

Game Jam’s are specifically fun competitions for developers to come together and push themselves to create a fully functional game in a limited time frame. The duration varies, but the average is actually around 24-72 hours. Pretty impressive, right? These events are definitely not exclusive to Epic or Unreal Engine either, I highly recommend looking into some other jam opportunities as well. They’re great ways to meet like minded developers and learn some fun development tricks. It’s also great for beginners to have a finished project to present on their portfolios as well!

Our MegaJam is a great way for our incredibly talented community to come together and make some fun projects & memories, as well as possibly earn some prizes for their hard work as well. It’s an enjoyable tradition that we hope to continue for many years to come.

If you’re looking for good templates to start with for making your own game, I recommend looking into either (or both!) of the publicly available projects Stack-o-Bot & Lyra Starter Game. They have a ton of content around them as well that make learning the building blocks of game creation much easier.

If you haven’t given a Jam a chance before, I hope you do in the future. There is an impressive range of little free weekly games that are masterfully built and a lot of fun - give some of them a try when you have the chance! :slight_smile:

5 games you could never remake but i dare any of you to give them ago.
Ultima Blackgate
Phantasy Star 3
Buck Rodgers Countdown To Doomsday
Rings OF Power
D&D Darksun.

Fact is most of you couldn’t design a game on par with any of SSI’s games or EA’s New World Computing back in the day or Serra who made really good puzzle story games for the time not to mention Sega or Nintendo games which hardly any dev now days can program a game that’s so addictive that leads on to a series of games.

You may have the graphics but most developers forget the substance in game, good story plot, well balanced controls, large worlds that actually have a point with things to do in them unlike half the crud being released alpha with nothing in map or a few basic controls and simple inventory system.

You want a good game you have to design it from the ground up games like Fallout were based off Steve Jacksons GURPS a massive pen & paper system that was converted for a computer game so it’s not like the foundation for something like Fallout just popped into some advertisers head, it came from real people playing pen & paper systems which are more advanced then what you get in most games & when a game does replicate one of those old pen & paper system you have an epic that sells many titles over the years. Companies like Bethesda have done well with the Eldar Scrolls Series & Fallout after they purchased it from Interplay & blackisle, so not only are you selling the game but the whole franchise to another developer later on down the track.