Input Problem - InputAxis fires without key being pressed

Morning All,

Hope this is in the right place, and if it is apologies for the triviality of the problem but I’ve hit a brick wall.

I am following this tutorial: UE4 / Unreal Engine 4 Make a Game - #03 Player Movement - YouTube

Blueprint is below, the Delay was a test of mine to see if what I thought was happening was true. Once the game starts, the cube progresses forward (as per the event tick) however, after 2 seconds it blasts off to the right as if the InputAxis key is being held down. Also, actually pressing D or A (keys assigned to MoveRight +1/-1) has no effect. I also added some other InputAxes and an Action command, bound to both the keyboard or mouse, and none do anything.

I forced the Player Blueprint to accept inputs from Player0 as well, as that was the only suggesstion I found about what might have been wrong. I cannot work out for the life of me what the problem its.

Any ideas?

The only things I notice are:

1. The 10000, is that the same as ForwardForce?

2. You’ve ticked VelChange and the second and not the first.

Hey ClockworkOcean,

1. No, forward force is set to 2000, the 10,000 is just to check something actually happens, which it does.

2. Yeah it was part of the tutorial to see what the difference was, I think it applies a pure velocity with it checked and an impulse if its not. Either way, the InputAxis reacts the same was (i.e. acts as if constantly fired).

I tried this across on my laptop (UE 4.24 vince 4.22) as well, and exactly the same thing happened. I then tried to do the same thing to a character on the desktop (original machine) and it happens… again. I then tried my 360 controller and the situation is again, the same.

I also tried removing the keyboard (same again) and then plugging it into a USB 2.0 port (…same again).

I am baffled.

Did you put a print string on that node? It’s defintely that node?

Hmmm, I think I have possibly worked it out but I remain extremely confused.

So the Axis value wasn’t connected up from the event tick - which is fairly glaringly obvious but I needed a 30m away before I noticed it. Thing is - I connected it up and still nothing happened. Then i noticed after leaving it for a while running in gae the controls started responding. Then I restarted the entire thing and it all worked.

Progress is progress I guess - thanks for taking an interest Clockwork!

BTW, the Axis input is always active, particularly when you have any sort of joystick plugged in.
Could it be you have a joystick on that’s not calibrated and sends this input?

You can block it when the axis value is 0 with a branch.

I did have a controller plugged in but it wasn’t sending anything through. I’ve fallen foul of that issue before…