Input GET nodes for functions

Hi Guys,

So I have big BPs. I also use BP functions that take parameters (Inputs). I’m finding myself choosing between:
A) Promoting input pins to variables, which isn’t very nice, as it creates a BP class member instead of a local variable for the function
B) Wiring the input into the function to the input pin on the node that needs that particular input

A is not great and B is terrible, if your a node is very far away from the function block. The wire tears through your entire BP graph, making stuff look like a mess, unless you use reroutes to clean it all up.

So… I have a proposal.

Imagine that this BP is massively complex and linking up that node’s (IsReady) to the function input (Param1) with a wire will look really bad, because you have lots of nodes in between those two, and that node is very far away from the function block:

&stc=1&d=1434024954

You right-click to bring up the node menu and search for “Get Param1”. The editor notices that the function block has that input, and presents the possibility of adding an “Input GET Node”, into your graph:

Screen Shot 2015-06-11 at 10.06.07 PM.png&stc=1&d=1434024968

Which you select and then hook up to your node:

&stc=1&d=1434024981

The advantage of this, is that you have a nice clean way of getting the input without, A) Having to create a new variable, setting it on entry to the function and getting it at the node B) having to sling a wire all the way back to the function node.

It is also a natural extension of what we use get nodes for already, getting local and class member variable values. I want that functionality for inputs to the function too… pretty please!

hugs

Tommy.

I like the idea.

I would like to make a small additional suggestion: If you access a parameter using this method it would be great if the ‘Param 1’ pin of the function-start-node would change so something else. Maybe a filled circle or something similar. That way the user would immediately see that the parameter is used somewhere in the blueprint. Maybe you could also right click on the parameter pin and click something like ‘find usage’.

Oh I like that very much! +1

Tommy.

+1 too like this