Input does not work. Why?

I want to make a sign and when the player is near the sign he should be able to press a button which should trigger a custom event. That didn’t work though, so I tried a print string right after the input and that didn’t work either. Of course I added an action mapping for this button. How do I fix this? Actually I am using the Version 5-EA but this Tag does not count as a Version Tag so I added the 4-27 Tag to post this question.

Did you enable input on the blueprint?

1 Like

Thanks, that fixed the problem, but now I have another one. The custom event doesn’t work. Can you help me with that too?

Did you put a print string right after it. There’s not too much to input actions, define it and plonk the custom event in your blueprint.

What I will mention, for free, is, this isn’t going to work :slight_smile:

Let’s say the top line of code runs, but the player hasn’t overlapped the box. In that case, this widget reference is ‘none’.

Plus: if you’re only concerned if the player is overlapping or not, just use ‘OnBeginOverlap’ ( and End… ). Those events fire a lot more reliably. When testing components like this, the begin and end overlaps can fire multiple times for one player movement.

I tried print strings in multiple positions and within the blueprint they worked perfectly. But in my game mode, where the custom event is, there is no signal. The red arrow is where i put print strings.
Blueprint: both worked

Thank you for your other suggestions, I will implement them.

Gamemode: did not work
Screenshot4

How are you triggering it? I don’t see you making a call on the game mode…

Wait, ok I see it. In that case your reference to the game mode has not been assigned. Are you by chance getting ‘none’ errors?

I don´t know what you exactly mean with ‘none’ errors, but when I compile it, there are no errors.

After running, does the editor give errors?

Not at all

1 Like

That fixed it and now everything is running perfectly. Thank you very much for your help. I’m fairly new to Unreal and I wouldn´t be able to fix this without you.

1 Like

You’re welcome :smiley: