Input Axis Isn't Working

It has been a little while since I’ve opened UE4, but I don’t think I’m missing anything here. The Input Axis just doesn’t seem to be working. When I play this script I just get zeros no matter what button I push. I can’t even put the input directly into the Controller Blueprint and have it print something. I have the Game Mode set up with the correct Player Controller and Default Pawn classes, and everything is compiled and saved. I even closed and reopened the program. I feel like I’m missing something obvious, but I can’t figure out what it is. Please reference the three photos. Thanks guys!

249878-axis-mapping.png

249877-controller-blueprint.png

249879-space-print.png

Update:

I clean installed Unreal, started a blank project, opened the level blueprint, added a space bar input node, connected that node to a generic print node and got nothing. Swapping the space bar node for a left mouse button click, however, displays the “hello” text on the screen with every click. This is driving me insane.

Set Input Game UI Only will prevent the controller from receiving input. Consider double checking whether you’ve got one of those somewhere in you code.

On the other hand, that would prevent you from registering clicks in a non-widget blueprint.

To test I uninstalled and reinstalled Unreal, started a blank project, and made it so the Spacebar Node and Print Node are the only two nodes in the entire project. I tried them in the Level Blueprint and a Character Controller Blueprint. The outcome should be that the only thing I see on screen is the word “Hello” when I press the spacebar, but nothing happens. When I swap the Spacebar Node with a right, left, or middle mouse button click, however, it works just fine.

I know my keyboard is functional because I’m using it to type this. I’ve done this before with no problems, but I recently clean installed Windows 8.1 and formatted both my hard drives. The only thing I did differently is I have Unreal installed on my secondary hard drive instead of my C drive, but I don’t see how that would affect anything.

In a recent turn of events. When I have both the Spacebar and Right Mouse Button nodes attached to the Print Node I can press Space all I want with no results until I press the Right Mouse Button. Then the “Hello” prints and the Spacebar will work fine after that, printing “Hello”, until I close and play again. What is going on here?

249956-mouse-and-key-print.png

It’s the window capture. You need to click in the window first to make it receive input from devices.

Play with those:

2 Likes

Thank you!