Inherited skeletal meshes doesnt show mesh

When i have an inherited skeletal mesh in my character script in c++ it either doesn’t show any content at all. only one textbox with “None” in it or when it does work and a mesh is selected in blueprint show anything:
blueprint in scene has no mesh selected. If i select one and apply instance changes blueprint editor still shows no mesh.
editor crashes when i select an animation for that skeletal mesh

I compiled again and now i have another skeletal mesh that i deleted out of code.
That variable doesn’t exits anywhere in code because i renamed it. And now there is new name of variable and old one

Code

Blueprint

Gun2 skeletal mesh doesnt have any properties

Hi ,

Thanks for your report. We have assigned this issue to a member of our support staff, and they will begin investigation as soon as possible. If we are unable to reproduce issue, or we need additional information, our staff member will comment here with additional questions. Otherwise, we will post an ‘Answer’ once we have logged issue in our bug database or we have a solution for it.

In meantime, please be sure to review our suggestions for how to report a bug, and feel free to edit your post if you have additional information to provide:

Thanks!

Hey,
I assigned mesh in blueprint.
When i assigned it in code it appeared as it should. But when i commented that section out again mesh was still apearing even if blueprint showd slot was empty.

mesh doesnt show same behavior. I inherit that from base class though. Other skeletal meshes i define myself sometimes but not always have same behavior. Sometimes don’t have any properties at all.

Hey -

Here are a few questions that would help me reproduce this on my machine:

How are you defining skeletal mesh in constructor?

Are you assigning mesh through code or just setting up component and then assigning mesh in blueprint?

Based on your screenshot, does “Mesh” component show same behavior or is it only happening with “Pistol” component?

Does mesh not show with other skeletal meshes set or do you only see this with handgun mesh?

Cheers

I created a class based on character and added a USkeletalMeshComponent* to class. When I created a blueprint based on this class and add a mesh to this component it is appearing as expected. Is there any steps I’m missing in my reproduction? Are you able to reproduce this in an empty project with no additional content?

I reproduced problem in an empty project.
How should i get that Project to you?

If you’re able to upload it to dropbox you can post link to download project here or send me a private message on forums with link.

Hey -

I just wanted to touch base with you since I’ve not heard from you in a few days. If you still have sample project where you were able to reproduce this please send me a link on forums () to download project.

Cheers

http://1drv.ms/1OyTTKy

This is project which produces problem where it doesnt attachto and doesnt show mesh. It seems to be something with hot reloading as everything seems to work when all binaries are deleted and it is recompiled completely.

attach to needs to be commented out on first compile and then added and compiled a second time.

Hey -

If you close editor and compile do you still have problem of mesh not showing up when you reopen project? Are you specifically referring to gun mesh not appearing in blueprint viewport? Does mesh show up properly when set/after a hot reload? Additionally, fixes to hot reload that were present in 4.8 were addressed in 4.8.3. Can you let me know if you’re still having same problem after upgrading to latest hotfix?

Hey -

We’ve not heard back from you in a few days. I will be marking this post as resolved for tracking purposes. If you’re still having issues with skeletal mesh you can add a comment to reopen this post and we will investigate further.

Cheers

Another problem marked as resolved that wasn’t resolved. Another satisfying Unreal Answers post! :slight_smile: I have this problem quite often as well and thought I found an answer.

Hey Burnrate-

This post was marked as resolved because there was not enough information to continue investigating original issue. Can you provide details about problem that you’re having? Which engine version are you working on? Are you using an inherited skeletal mesh component?

I have not had this issue in newer versions.
I am currently using 4.10.
so i guess id be fine with it being marked as resolved…
I don’t know if there is option for an admin to remove this as it doesn’t seem to have any value for anyone else.

This still isn’t solved. An inherited mesh does not show anything if you press play.

To reproduce:

1. Create a new “default pawn” blueprint
  2. Put a mesh in inherited static mesh
  3. Put it in level
  4. Press play
  5. It disappears

Hey MrGoatsy-

What engine version are you running? I tried steps you provided in 4.16 and mesh set (1M_Cube) showed during PIE after step 4. If you are able to reproduce this in latest engine version, please provide a small sample project demonstrating behavior.