"industrialRoom" - Furious Elegance Challenge

Title: Industrial Room

Video URL: industrialRoom - UE5 on Vimeo

Student Submission: No

Credits to sourced content:

Industrial Set - Modular Pipes
by Feivelyn
sketchfab.com/3d-models/industrial-set-modular-pipes-9b6e8e8c055846cd82c74655f0c2c540

Rusted Industrial Water Tank
by Arghanion’s PuzzleBox
sketchfab.com/3d-models/rusted-industrial-water-tank-cfc37d0aff454f29a27c8ab3325f445b

Half Life 2 inspired laundry machine
by Kidney_02
sketchfab.com/3d-models/half-life-2-inspired-laundry-machine-11b2bf7ec7824a32b5fe25e2c7eefd42

Half Life 2 inspired laundry machine 3
by Kidney_02
sketchfab.com/3d-models/half-life-2-inspired-laundry-machine-3-2c2fb960c66743d19e6459cfe95de1ac

Baba Yaga | Dark Ambient Horror Soundscape
by MONST3R MUSIC
youtube.com/watch?v=Rge79Y2WzH0

Screenshot of project in-editor:

Optional

• what started as a personal project ended up being my entry for the latest Unreal Engine Challenge “Furious Elegance”. I’ve been looking to create a small environment for a while and finally decided to do it. Started as a small project and ended up being a huge one even though it doesn’t seem like it. I had the opportunity to develop custom shaders for the cables and the curtains all around the space which is awesome. For the environment modeling and layout I worked inside 3ds max and exported everything into the engine. For the curtain simulations I used marvelous designer since it still gives me the best quality results. Used a couple of megascans and sketchfab assets which are listed below. For the character cloth simulation I downloaded a walking animation from mixamo and used that one to simulate the cloth on top.

• Engine version: 5.1

13 Likes

Love it

1 Like

thank you! <3

Really cool! Love the atmosphere - has an epic feel to it

1 Like

Incredible, I’ve been messing with alembic cloth sims from C4D for a while in UE but run into a lot of texturing issues + big sim files for higher detail. Do you do alembics out of Marvelous to achieve this quality? Maybe C4D sims are just wrong type of alembic compression or something? A better cloth workflow is something I’d love to master. Absolutely beautiful stuff.

1 Like

Hi there @mistercardenas,

Hope you’re well and having a great week so far!

Truly the most hauntingly beautiful project I’ve seen yet. It’s managed to be both stunning and eerie in the most thoughtful way. Especially with the addition of the ominous music. I only wish there was a short film to go along with it!
The choice for the video to be done during the daytime was a great one. It allowed for the scene to appear warm and delicate while still showing off a few of the finer details of the environment. Yet still capture the horror feeling.

Thanks for sharing and good luck in the challenge! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you!

Thank you! Yeah, my alembics go straight from marvelous into Unreal. Whenever I increase my cloth resolution I end up with big files too. So far haven’t had the need to optimize them in any way since they are intended for offline rendering, only downside is running the animation in the editor.

Never tried exporting Sims from c4d into Unreal so I really can’t provide much help with that

1 Like

Thanks for the kind words! I’m really glad you liked the project so much.

I got so captured by it while working on it, even if I don’t win it was a great experience

1 Like

Good stuff, Marvelous will probably be my next foray to get that quality thanks!

1 Like

This has convinced me to give Marvelous a try! Absolutely awesome results here. The lighting is really well done also!

1 Like

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words
And yes, definitely marvelous gives the best results so far, only downside is the size of the files you need to work with, it gets really wonky working in the editor, but other than that you get really nice quality out of it

if there is anything I can help you with, please reach out :slight_smile:

1 Like

definitely go for it! Marvelous is a great sofware for this type of stuff, probably not the best UI, I consider it to be zero 3d artist friendly, but once you get the hang of it it’s amazing

1 Like

I sincerely believed you were going to win.

1 Like

I appreciate it! Sadly, no! Let’s see how it goes in the next one!! <3

1 Like

Now you got me all excited for the next one! Can’t wait!