Incorporate Gource (GNU GPL) into UE4 release videos

Dear Epic,
I feel that it would be highly motivational and beneficial for Epic Games and its community to showcase their hard work with each Unreal Engine 4 release by incorporating source visualization videos using Gource or similar.

These videos are usually short at an average of 1 to 4 minutes and can really showcase how much work goes into each release for potential new costumers and fans alike

Here is a video of Gource in action for your viewing pleasure

Furthermore,
Gource uses a GNU GPL v3 license which would allow Epic to modify the software so that they can provide product branding for Unreal Engine 4. You could also choose to distribute the software via GitHub or elsewhere to open up this great software to a wider audience of developers and enthusiasts :wink:

NOTE: I understand that embedded videos are limited to 1 per-post and I hope that these additional videos below have enough value to merit multiple posts, if not then feel free to remove these additional video posts on this thread.

Here are a couple more videos that focus on large projects which should give you a better idea of what Unreal Engine 4 might look like if it’s source files are visualised with Gource

NOTE: I understand that embedded videos are limited to 1 per-post and I hope that these videos have enough value to merit multiple posts, if not then feel free to remove these additional video posts on this thread.

I just had to post one more video :rolleyes: which is actually gaming related and what better game to show then the phenomenon that is Minecraft :cool:

Sounds like a cool idea, would be pretty cool to see the progress over time.

The problem is GPL is viral. It might work as an external binary runnable from the editor, but using it in UE would force UE to go GPL. Otherwise, it’s a great idea.

@AoiGhost Wow this thread LIVES! hehe and I think you misunderstand me or I at the time didn’t make my thread posts clear enough regarding the intent of such a suggestion.

In short,
I was suggesting that Epic Games puts the Unreal Engine 4 code through Gource to generate a visualization of the codebase from a strictly promotional point of view and to be provided on their official YouTube channel + elsewhere (GIFs, Vimeo, etc

Not to mention they could perhaps make a thing of it to include an updated video that only shows the changes made between say the most recent release of Unreal Engine (4.10) up to the next release (4.11) as a way to show how much effort was put into that release by their staff and community members + where abouts in the codebase the joint effort was primarily focused on :slight_smile: