Incoming VR News! - Feb. 4 2016 @ 2PM ET

I’m beyond hyped for this one! :slight_smile:

• Will we be getting Bullet Train demo for 4.11?
  • Since VR is so at home with “sim games” and the fact that most sim players use joystick/HOTAS setups, will Epic implement a controller scheme for it?
  • Will we finally be getting a VR-ready demo / mannequin with support for both controller and motion controllers in the player controller blueprint, and will it also include a proper 3D GUI with controller / motion controller support?
  • Will we get a “Detect HMD Type” node that returns: “Rift”, “Vive”, “PlaystionVR”, “Other”, “None”?
  • Will “Voice to Text” (voice is invaluable for both as a secondary controller as well as speaking to other people) be implemented?

Non-related VR questions:

• Is it possible to use google’s API for machine learning to make AI “smarter”, and if so, how would one go about implementing it?

Why is it so hard to sleep now that VR is a thing :wink: Looking forward to In Editor VR Support… Fingers crossed

Wow!! The VR editor would be amazing!!! even though I don’t see this as something that will be available before the touch controller are.
Other things I’m really looking forward to:

• VR SLI
  • A VR template with properly rigged mannequin (head, hands, IK) working also in a multiplayer setup
  • Bullet Train demo released (but again, without touch controllers?)

Hi guys, you are awesome!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:[QUESTION]:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
Current state and plan for mobile VR, i mean official Google’s Cardboard support.

Thank you so much!

I would love to see support for local multiplayer, where one person is in VR and the other can use the screen, mouse and keyboard. But a VR editor would be amazing.

Are there any plans to support Google Cardboard ? You could implement a streaming system like TrinusVR in UE4. Visual data is streamed to your phone, and head tracking data is streamed back from the phone to the PC. This way, anyone could afford to do powerful desktop VR in UE4, using very cheap periphperals.

I don’t see what “big news” they could announce, they already have flawless virtual reality support for UE4, it already supports all the major VR platforms. I can’t imagine Oculus or Valve announcing something through Epic so I really don’t know. They state it’s a VR specific announcement so unless it’s something way out there like in-editor vr support (able to edit/change the world inside VR… unlikely at this point) or some magical performance breakthrough then I’m going to go with some stereo instanced magic or something of that nature, either way I’m excited!

You are forgetting Gear VR.

And IBM’s Watson.

I have some misc questions, concerning the Trello board.

Gameplay Tasks are listed in February, I assume driven by Fortnight. Does this mean they might make it into 4.11? Does that card include the Gameplay Tags feature?

AAA UMG improvements are also listed in February, March, driven by Fortnight. 4.11? 4.12? What sort of stuff are we talking about here?

Oh, my last minute request, I want a VR hands-only model in the starter content! A skeletal mesh, but with no body/arms, just left/right hands to use with motion controllers. Much like the blue ghost hands in bullet train and toybox. Great for us non-artists

I got run out & get me some popcorn…:wink:

VR in the editor, will support OSVR?

Ooooh, exciting!

VR Editor was what I was hoping for. So glad that you guys did this.

Mad props :slight_smile:

Beautiful. Looking forward to the next steps!

Best announcement ever!!!

After all the EPIC announcements before, I never thought you guys could do an even more EPIC announcement :smiley:

Can’t wait to try this out! Sooooo exciting!!!

Soo, that’s all there was? VR editing?

Was mobile VR addressed at all ?

Guys … very cool !! can’t wait to try it

Thanks to everyone who tuned into the stream and for the kind words! :slight_smile: I’m so excited we’ve finally been able to share what we’ve been working on.

–Mike