Inability to launch any Unreal programs due to "D3D device being lost"

Hello! There have been a number of people who have mentioned this issue, from what I can see, as far back as 2017. I have tried to play three games from Steam, those being Indigo Park, Street Fighter 6, and Crab Champions, as well as Unreal Editor itself (version 5.3.2) and I get the same error message that the “D3D device was lost.” I have tried almost everything that was recommended to me: uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, switching the games to run strictly on my RTC GPU, downloading mpo_disable from the Nvidia forums, checking clock speeds, everything. When I try to open up Indigo Park, it gives me a specific error message.
“Fatal error:
[File:D:\build++UE5\Sync\Engine\Source\Runtime\WIndows\D3D11RHI\Private\D3D11Util.cpp] [Line 180]
Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost. (Error: 0x0 - ‘S_OK’)”
When Unreal crashes, as well as providing a splash screen about how the D3D device is lost, it gives me this long message:
GPU Crash dump Triggered

UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_D3D12RHI
UnrealEditor_SlateRHIRenderer
UnrealEditor_SlateCore
UnrealEditor_MainFrame
UnrealEditor_MainFrame
UnrealEditor_UnrealEd
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
UnrealEditor
kernel32

I know others have been asking about this for a while, but it is starting to drive me crazy. I cannot open Unreal Editor nor any games that run on Unreal Engine.

Edit: I am able to play Crab Champions just fine, but when I exit out of the game, I get a crash message? My NVIDIA GPU is being utilized just fine. I’m honestly lost.

try changing your monitor resolution, fullscreen to windowed or using nvidia studio driver.
and reduce the quality of the game or ue5.

Greetings @lando901

Welcome to the Unreal Engine Forum. That issue can be caused by a lot of different things. We’d have to play some process of elimination, which it seems you’ve already been doing. Have you checked your RAM compatibility with your rig? (Hardware compatibility across the entire PC is where I’d start as compatibility problems as well as GPU driver issues are the usual suspects)

The “D3D Device Being Lost” error is fairly common and often happens with higher-resolution monitors, especially if you’re running at 2K or higher and 144Hz. Rendering to these displays demands more power from your GPU, and if your power supply isn’t strong enough, your GPU could be starved for power and shut down.

This issue can also occur if your PC shares a circuit with power-hungry devices like a toaster or air conditioner. For example, during the summer, I can’t run games fullscreen on my 2K monitor because my system shares a circuit with our AC. Sometimes, locking both the desktop and game to 60Hz lets me play for a while, but the issue still eventually happens. To avoid this, I usually play in windowed mode.

Other potential causes include overheating, faulty hardware, or certain software like Afterburner, which can sometimes create more issues than it solves.

I recommend opening Task Manager, going to the Performance tab, and monitoring your GPU and temperature while using the editor or playing games to see if that helps pinpoint the problem.

I purchased my rig (HP Victus Gaming Laptop) with up-to-date specs (13th Gen Intel Core i7-13700HX, RTX 4060, 32 GB RAM) and I was able to run these games before this issue started. My laptop can absolutely run these games, as it was able to before. However, I do have another question. I recently had to uninstall drivers for a specific mouse that I had, due to them being outdated and messing up my computer. Could those drivers that I deleted have something to do with it?

I’ve run other games that are more and less graphically demanding and my computer is running completely fine. I can’t play any Unreal games in windowed mode because I can’t even open any of them. My performance through Task Manager seems okay.

Uninstalling mouse drivers should not have any affect. Though, did you add any new drivers, roll back any updates, or anything of that nature? Also, do you have any devices connected to your PC via USB etc?

I downloaded the newest drivers for NVIDIA, and I have a mouse and an audio device plugged in. Thing is, unplugging these devices when I am trying to run the game does not work. The other thing is, the game was working just fine before I uninstalled the mouse drivers. I have no actual clue what the hell happened. I was still on the most recent NVIDIA driver (I believe it was a 560.94 Game Ready, I’ve tested both Game Ready and Studio), and it just decided to not work one day. I’ve tried looking through my antivirus but I cannot tell if that’s the reason.

Setting the GPU to use integrated graphics works just fine, so it’s an issue with my video card. I know it isn’t a driver issue, but I am far too scared to try and deal with anything that relates to physical alterations. I’ve tried undervolting, I’ve tried registry keys, I have tried literally everything.

I did some digging through crash files and I saw that there was an error at a CreateSwapChainforHwnd command, which caused the DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_REMOVED thing to pop up. The game now has moved to DX12, but I’m still getting the same error.