In which drive should I keep the engine & the project?

Hi guys, I am used to building UE4/5 from the source code and the game project, in Visual Studio.

I have an SSD C-Drive, and an HDD D-Drive, what is your recommendation for where to keep the engine and the project(s)?

And what difference does it make (apart from faster loading per se)? Specifically, does compiling the engine source code itself and later compiling each edit in the project become considerably faster?

Hi,

if possible it is recommended to have both the engine and project on an SSD. The biggest difference is when you are saving, I used a HDD for a long time for my projects, but the saving started taking ages (1-3 minutes) where as on an ssd the saving happens in seconds.

How about Visual Studio compilation tho? that’s my main concern.

As far as I know there the only difference is that if you have vs installed on a HDD the boot up time will be longer. Compilation time should only be affected by the drive that the project is on.

definitelly faster on ssd but i put my DDC on normal drive to save space on SSDs, you can pre-generate whole derived cache. that should help