In-game Photography?

Hey y’all,

I’m interested in developing an “in-game camera” mechanic, sort of like the photography in some of the Zelda games like Majora’s Mask and Wind Waker. Stuff like saving and storing a screenshot of the viewport, checking if the camera has captured a shot of the target, checking if the target was facing the camera or making a particular pose, etc.

I haven’t been able to find anything on this subject, so I’m turning to you good folks for help.

Thanks in advance and have a cool day.

I found this video which I think is doing what you’re asking. There’s also a paid plugin available.

The video isn’t much help, I’m afraid, so I guess I’ll have to look into the plugin. It’s not too pricey, I suppose. Thanks for bringing it up.

Have you found anything close to what you were looking for? The plugin would be a good starting point but I have no idea how to continue from here.

Try Nvidia Ansel and tell me what you think

I don’t think I can? Near as I can tell that plugin is only available to select, proven developers. If I’m wrong I’d appreciate a correction, but I don’t see any way to access it.

Besides, just going by the document, it isn’t quite what I’m looking for. I want to snap and save photos <i>in-game;</i> keeping photos to share outside of the game isn’t high on my priority list. Thanks for bringing it up, though.

I’m planning to use Photographic Memory as a mechanic in my Open World Survival Terror Game for Item Icons, Player Portraits, and more. As a solo developer, this mechanic will save me tons of work creating icons etc. I purchased this plugin when it was initially released which was before code plugin acceptance, so it had issue saving images to disk at the time. I’m going to reattempt using the plugin, if no success, I will start developing a new system from scratch and share my result.

Here’s some code that can help with that; save a screenshot then load the resulting image from path:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/474137/highresshot-fails-to-take-a-screenshot-at-specifie.html

That’d be great TechLord, thanks.

We talk about this subject and others including Nvidia Ansel on this B&H Photography Podcast episode

Let us know what you think and please subscribe to our show. Thanks

That didn’t really help with my particular issue, I’m afraid. But it was an interesting listen. Thanks for sharing.

That’s what I could recreate. But storing and saving the photos ingame for future reference was not possible for me with blueprints. I can take a snap shot from a render 2d target, but I can’t create a new texture or material, which is required to save the photos ingame. I also made an array to store several photos, but it doesn’t help with the problem :/. I tried creating new render 2d targets every time I would press the left mouse button and update the shot only, when I pressed the left mouse button. What I would end up with was several render 2d targets, but no way of displaying their contents. I also don’t know, if all render targets are updated, when I update a specific render target…