In-game Memory workflow is very time consuming and impossible to work with

In game memory determines whether you publish a map or not. Meaning its extremely important in general to know when developing. With that in mind, I ll cut straight to the chase:

• You cant know what in-game memory is at all times

• You have to wait a good amount of time to see a snapshot of the memory (which may not be correct)

• The snapshot of that memory is not the highest memory, just the one where you are standing.

• There is no way to know the highest cluster unless you run memory calculate, a process which in our map crashes devices, network timeouts, and requires 1hr and 51 mins to complete.

• Any one of the actors or devices can have a broken memory count that can peak and lock you from editing. An example is the crate that has a modded weapon inside, it currently costs 9k when it shouldn’t. It only takes one asset/actor like that to lock you in a large project

• Undo action in UEFN desyncs live edit, and memory stops counting correctly.

• Any action in UEFN that desyncs live edit stops it from counting correctly, without the game telling you but instead showing you a wrong figure that is confusing.

• Any device raises that memory globally, and past a point of logic complexion you get locked from developing. This doesn’t happen in gamedev, the projects can scale with multiple levels and scripts.

• FN’s BP actors are not well optimized, and they cause server lag past 11 players in a map. Its 100% repro on any map that has more than 20k actors, even if those actors are streamed. The only solution is to not use FN BP actors, but SMs instead.

• Validation marks engine assets in game, so the full process to see memory requires more than 20 mins on large projects, that you need to be clicking things too (restart it when it fails validation)

• Memory changes value depending on the time you are in live edit. Past 20 mins you get different values, which used to be less than the one when you joined, but now they are more. Below I have attached 3 images of me staying away from any geometry and only showing device memory at different times in the map:

• I still don’t understand why device memory has to be the same as art memory. I want to design an area but I have devices take all memory atm. Would help us organize better.

• Huge lag when loading maps of 20k+ actor complexity, which makes memory not count correctly at start. This was introduced with a patch and it used to be faster:

• Spatial profiler is a useless tool. Blows my mind how that tool made it to release, when we have consistently asked for specific things, like listing memory based on device types, breakdowns of memory by type of actor, live memory, highest memory, heatmaps, etc. And all we get is a tool that can record a heatmap and requires me to manually fly over every region of the game myself, something that is more primitive than the first variation of of XL worlds in Creative. Please do better and give us tools that we need.

• Deleting verse devices doesn’t update memory in game, so we cant know how much they take (deleting them all together while live edit is synced)

• Pressing to memory calculate on our project, while being desynced, will validate things and nothing will happen. Only if we press it twice, or sync again the process will continue. Which makes the waiting even worse, because it requires user input constantly.

• Mem calc requires making a private version, which is something that is never used in this combination, feels like a waste of time. Also when that version, after all the waiting, is created, then a popup requires the user to click ok to the map code, THEN mem calc starts. So if you press mem calc (because its a lengthy process) and leave your PC, it WONT complete, because of that window (or validation). Now let’s think why mem calc is useful, and whether two stopping points play ANY role to that.

• Deleting all device types vs seeing mem calc report (list) shows 2 completely different results. Usually the device size is way more on mem calc list than in reality. For example, we have 59 guard spawners, and deleting them all removes 400 memory from the map, while the mem calc report shows the device takes 8k and its mentioned multiple times in the list, each time with the 8k figure

• Mem Calc is so different everytime, with so many things bugging it or changing it, that is simply impossible to be used as a reliable tool to know how much more you can build. It’s an absolute mess right now that takes me days of syncing, and reverting, and waiting for live edit, and desyncing, to even get 1 reading into what I want, and its not even correct most of the time, because as I mentioned above, its not the regional cluster that will lock you, but the highest one. Meaning that what is shown on live edit (top of the screen) is a completely useless reading in UEFN. 100% worse than current creative. And given UEFN receives more dev time than Creative, it means that all the last year’s initiatives have done nothing but to make it worse for us.

We are spending full days and full weeks trying to do simple things, instead of actually developing games and being efficient. Please start fixing memory and optimize BPs to decrease it and make servers not lag as well.

Maybe check this out?: