In-game computer like House Abandon

Hello,

I’ve been experimenting with widgets and UMG lately, wanting to start small on the programming side of things. I was hoping I’d be able to get some tips / help with creating a similar system to that featured in the game HOUSE ABANDON by NoCode. I do however want to maintain the ability to leave the screen and move about.

If anyone could help I’d very much appreciate it!

Thanks!

1 Like

Could you explain how this system works? Or at least point to video that demonstrates it well.

Yeah sure → THE HOUSE ABANDON - Legitimately Creepy - YouTube

I’ve tried to follow a few of the tips given in this article → How to Create A Terminal System in UE4 but it seems some things have been left out.

Thanks!

The specific feature I’m concerned about is focusing the camera on the widget. I want to be able to walk up to it press a key, so say “E”, do the interactions and be able to leave with say, “Esc”. I understand that its complex, however, I do want to learn and get better at BP.

Thanks for this, I’ll give this a go later and see what results I get. I’ll keep this question updated with my progress, hopefully anyone else with a similar desire for an in-game computer can learn/contribute here as well.

The specific feature I’m concerned
about is focusing the camera on the
widget. I want to be able to walk up
to it press a key, so say “E”, do the
interactions and be able to leave with
say, “Esc”. I understand that its
complex, however, I do want to learn
and get better at BP.

This part is fairly straighforward.

Here’s my terminal actor:

• a Static Mesh for the monitor
  • a Widget Component that will hold a widget where we can execute commands (with Hardware Input on!)
  • a Springarm with an attached Camera

The widget for the above-mentioned component:

• it has a Border, Editable Text, and a Button with Text Block, they all sit in an Overlay panel
  • when the button is clicked, we switch the camera back to the player, and allow the Player Controller to receive input again
  • when the user types Esc and commits (you can Switch on Commit Method here, for more control), the same script is executed

Here’s the script in the Player blueprint that gives us access to the terminal:

• when the Linetrace hits the terminal, we take away control from the Player Controller and focus on the Widget hosted by the terminal’s Widget Component
  • and switch to the terminal actor’s Camera

Image from Gyazo

The article is pretty descriptive, actually. So what are you really asking?

The Answer Hub revolves around specific questions. If you need an entire working system, you’re better off paying someone to design it. The forums have a section for that.

Otherwise it’s hours of work, days maybe.

[…]some things have been left out.

Is there a specific feature / element that you’re having an issue with?

Text Printing letter by letter has been done a couple of times here. I could try to dig that up. Finding your own post is a hassle at times :slight_smile: Is this one of the features you’re after?

edit: here’s the method:

From this [thread][2].

Thank you very much for this! This is pretty much exactly what I was after!. I’ll see how much further I can push it on my own and report back what I’ve learned, hopefully being able to help others as well. Thanks again!!!

Please do, it would be cool to see how far this can be taken.

Good luck!