Impulse/Launch Character After Root Motion Animation

Hello Guys

So I found only a few questions on this topic, but could not implement a solution.
I am implementing a dash for my character that can be used to cancel attack animations (attacks use root motion). I am able to cancel de animation, however the add impulse/launch character does not take effect in these situations.
Here is the snippet of the dash implementation:

And here is the video showing that the impulse does not work when the animation is cancelled:
[Unreal Engine Add Impulse not Working - YouTube][2]

The only question I found about this situation is from 2015: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/227726/addimpulse-and-launchcharacter-fail-on-x-and-y-onl.html
I have tried to add a value to the Z vector of the impulse, and in fact it is executed properly, only X and Y are ignored (which would make sense due to fall implementation).
Is there anything that can be done to achieve this X and Y impulse via blueprint? I thought that adding the Stop Movement Immediately node would cancel the root motion velocity and unlock the character for the launch, but it did not help.

If this is only achievable via C++ script, I would really appreciate if someone could give some more details on how to make this implementation.
Thanks a lot!

hello, maybe not relevant anymore but maybe it will help others, you can remove the stop character movement and instead pull out via “mesh” “get anim instance” and connect as a target to “set root motion”, set the value to “ignore root motion” and you have x and y unlocked, then after a short delay turn on rootmotion via “set enable root motion”, the fact is that if the enable root motion option is enabled in the animation, then this option blocks movement along x and y until this animation ends, I hope this will help to you

1 Like

Hey Weytant, this a great workaround! I would say that it is major oversight by Epic to not include root motion cancelling out X and Y movement as BP’s-exposed flag. There are plenty of legit cases when one may want to play an anim with root motion as well as apply additional forces. Kudos for sharing the workaround as this seems to be the only way to go about it (in 2023!).

1 Like