Improvement Suggestion/Request for Planar Reflectons. Would be Incredibly Useful if Possible.

I would love to use planar reflections in my game, but many areas to benefit from it, and yet the global clip plane still takes a massive performance hit.

My first suggestion/request - Is there any way that an option can be integrated into the planar reflections functionality where clip planes and planar reflection actors can be assigned to an enclosed volume that when the main camera enters the volume it will switch from using SSR to planar reflection.

Mind you all I don’t know all that much about coding, but I’d like to think I understand rendering mechanisms pretty well…

Since the reflections update every frame anyway, I don’t think it would be too much to prevent it from rendering until its notified/ticked. I feel like the only major issue would be the global clip plane. Considering the editor requires a restart and all the current shaders need to recompile whenever the global clip plane are enabled or disabled. So I’m assuming that there are some significant changes being made in the rendering engine’s code whenever this option is changed. But would somebody mind sharing what changes are those that require a recompilation and restart? Is there a way to circumvent it?

If enabling and disabling planar reflections could occur during run time, then that could make them so much more useful in real-time games because it would allow the artist to budget and placing volumes strategically to get the largest bang for their buck, so to speak.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this and have a wonderful day!