Impostor Baker (UE5) materials are incorrect for foliage actor

Hello, I am in a bit of a dire situation with the impostor materials. I noticed that the original Impostor Baker from GitHub made by Ryan Brucks is now built into UE5 which is great, it seems there are some improvements in regards to fixing the foliage actor based meshes, but there are a couple issues left standing. First most noticeable one being incorrect normals, the other is that there are some visual errors making the blending between the last LOD not as great.

Here’s an example of the normals, in the center of the image are hand placed static meshes, all of the others are placed as foliage.

I am not sure if I should wait for a fix for this or wait for Nanite to work with masked materials, any help or advice would be appreciated.

1 Like

I’m in the process of creating support for OI’s in rdLODtools version 1.4 - I’m about 85% of the way through and have found various things like that and been trying to fix along the way (is that using ISM’s with unique rotation?) I’ve also got a system that reduces the texture usage down to only 12.5% of the originals.
I’ll also be creating a fork on GitHub for people to download - but is as easy as a few clicks when made from rdLODtools.
I’m still over a month away in development in that though I’m afraid…

4 Likes

Oh I see, that’s awesome to hear that you’re developing an alternative to generating OI’s, at this point I think the community as a whole (that relies on Impostor Baker) could really use something that works without issue. It’s a shame that everything was working fine for UE4, and it doesn’t even produce any errors in UE5, just visually. I am strongly looking forward to your tools, it might just be our only option. Maybe if Nanite works effectively with masked materials at some point which would be nice to not have to worry about baking impostors.

If compensation could help speed things along let me know.

2 Likes

I have a UE5 bug I need to work around before being able to release 1.3 but hopefully I can get back to 1.4 development soon. Thanks for the offer, but it should be fine.

There are quite a few clues in the UE5 source code to suggest nanite support for masks, double sided geometry, pixel depth offset and world position offset are on the cards in a future release (nanite programmable raster)…

1 Like

Ah, is that related to what I had described? Incorrect normals?

I’m pretty curious as to how that’s going to turn out for trees.

1 Like

Actually it is related to normals, but a different type of rendering issue (the world normal virtualization rendering to a render-target only sets up the first material on the mesh)

Yes me too!

1 Like

Just wanted to reply with a video of what’s going on: UnrealEditor_7L0lQLg8ox.mp4 – it seems they aren’t actually working correctly for normal static meshes either (doesn’t match scale)

2 Likes

Thanks, the LODs do look like they are very wrong there - I’ll take a look…

1 Like

I am a user of your tool and I was wandering if you will update for UE5. I am glad you will and I am waiting impatienly.

2 Likes

Hey there, that’s awesome, and yea I just pushed an update for UE5, I made an announcement on the discord about the caveats.

2 Likes

I managed to get the last things working in UE5 for rdLODtools now so I just need to do a final test, then I can submit the update…

2 Likes

That’s amazing, I can’t wait!

1 Like

dont know if this is to late but I found that using static Foliage actor brakes the material. I converted the tree into a blueprint and then used a Actor foliage instead and this fixed all my problems

Hi @RecourseDesign ! hope you are great! did you get a fix for this? I would like to know more about how you do it as I’m having same issue. Thanks.

Hi Chachan,

I’ve been building support for Octahedral Impostors into my tool rdLODtools and so far it’s been working correctly in UE5.

I’m not quite finished yet, just working on the last part (which is actually the WS Normals) atm - will hopefully have it ready to publish soon.

Any updates on this one? Are you planning to release your tool?

Hi, yes I’ve released it in rdLODtools - it’s still experimental but works in most ways.

1 Like