Impossible to start the launcher (0xc000007b)


I am trying to install unreal engine, but I never made it past the installation of the launcher.
Indeed, whenever I try to start the launcher, I get a message telling me that the application didn’t start correctly (0xc000007b).

I tried a LOT of solutions available on the forum and wiki but without any results. (Like reinstalling direct X, the packages for VS 2013).

And I did a scan with dependancy walker available here :

I tried to download and replace the ones with a “E” (I don’t have any “!”), but for some I can’ like IEFRAME.DLL (I guess it’s related to Internet Explorer anyway)

Thanks in advance for any advices you may give me.

Try this:
(from [Epic]Barnabas)
We have another approach for you to try:

Download Process monitor from this link: Process Monitor - Sysinternals | Microsoft Learn

Open the zip file you download and move the Procmon.exe to somewhere on your machine.

Right click on that executable and select run as administrator.

When the application launches go to the menu bar at the top and select "Filter" then select "Filter..." from the menu that pops up.

In the window that opens select the top left drop down and change it to "Process Name"

The drop down next to this should read "is" this is correct.

In the text box to the right of that enter "EpicGamesLauncher.exe"

Then click the Add button and then click OK

Now run the launcher.

You should see the window in the process monitor start to fill up. Once you have seen the error window show up from the launcher go back to the process monitor and follow these steps:

Go to the top left menu and select "File" then "Save..."

A Save To File dialog will appear, the default settings are what we want. They should be "Events displayed using current filter" and a format of "native process monitor format".

Check the file location and press Ok

Find that file on your PC and upload the file here (You may have to zip the file up)

We recommend that if you detect a corrupt/missing DLL that you backup your local copy of the DLL then remove it from its current location and reinstall the software package it was originally installed with. For instance, if a directx DLL is missing/corrupt then you should re-install directx. It is not advised to download individual DLL’s from third party sites. These could cause unknown issues and risks introducing malware onto your machine.

Hm, it seems that your problem is XINPUT1_3.dll. Download it from here and put in C:\Windows\System32\wbem\ for example. It should help.

I also need help link text

Yeah, this issue sure has a lot of sources…

Really glad you were able to get past your issue but I want to clear some things up for people that may be tempted to do this in the future. I can’t argue with the result but I’m 99% sure this is not a proper fix. Proceed with caution as this may confuse the File System Redirector which does automatic switching between SysWOW64 and System32 folders.

First, the SysWOW64 folder is reserved for 32bit files only. This may seem counter intuitive but you don’t have to take my word for it, the following links give a good breakdown of the concepts in play here: Link2

The main point is that on a 64bit OS:

  • the SysWOW64 folder is intended for 32-bit files only
  • the System32 folder is intended for 64-bit files only
  • The OS will perform transparent switching between these two folders when needed

I can’t explain why your fix works for you but I have a suspicion that there are 64bit DLLS in your SysWOW64 folder which should never happen. Your logs further imply that the corresponding DLLs were found in your System32 folder but failed to load which makes me think they are actually 32 bit DLLs. This would be bad as we should never find 32bit dlls in your System32 folder on a 64bit OS.

Hi Ghostility,

We haven’t heard back from you in a few days, so we are marking this post as Resolved for tracking purposes. If you’re still experiencing this issue, please try the suggestion that MultiFaСs mentioned above then post back here.

If you need anything else, feel free to ask.

The problem I had was that I had inverted a 32bits and 64bits DLL, I thought that system32 stood for the 32 bits DLL, but not on a 64bits OS …