Importing Vault files

Hey everyone,

I did some research before posting this thread.

First of all, I’m totally new at UE4 and I wonder how to access the items from my Vault.
I learned about the migration tool and how to do it manually (eg.: Unreal Engine 4: Free Vegetation Pack (Migration) - YouTube) but it doesn’r really answer my question…

So here it goes, I’ll try and make it as simple as possible:

1. I create a new project
  2. I look in my **Content Browser **and I have the main folder Content with StarterContent included
  3. I downloaded Open World Demo Collection to my vault
  4. I reopen my new project and wish to access the content from Open World Demo Collection but it’s not in my Content Browser?

I think I’m misunderstanding how the Content Browswer works but, do I really have to import the vault items for every project I make? Wouldn’t it take up extreme amount of HDD space?
I’d love to have one folder on my HDD entitled “Downloaded content”, which would include Open World Demo Content, Content Examples and so forth, but is that possible?

I’m looking forward to hear from you guys :slight_smile:
UE4 is extremly fun but difficult to learn as a lot of the tutorials I find is based on game-production and scripting. I just want to create still-images as I would in E-on Vue :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=

**I think I’m misunderstanding how the Content Browswer works but, do I really have to import the vault items for every project I make? Wouldn’t it take up extreme amount of HDD space?
I’d love to have one folder on my HDD entitled “Downloaded content”, which would include Open World Demo Content, Content Examples and so forth, but is that possible?

[/QUOTE]

yeah you have to import from the vault to each project, with the demo content, you can just migrate the assets you want from the project to your personal project by right clicking them in the content browser and clicking migrate.

Hey ixicalibur, thank you for your reply, it’s much appreciated :slight_smile:
So the way of doing it is:

1. Open the vault project
  2. Find the content I want to use for my new project
  3. Migrate it to my new project folder
  4. Done?

I can’t just have the vault data by default in every new project, exactly like StarterContent? :slight_smile:

spot on. it would be nice to have it available immediately to all projects wouldn’t it? maybe something for epic to work on hehe

Have this (bug) been fixed?

What is the difference between migrate vs adding from vault? There is no space saving advantage?
Does migrating make a link so if I change in one project, it changes in the other folder too?

the only difference is you can migrate assets from project to project and only copy what you want, the vault basically bulk migrates all the assets in the pack. both options copy files.

The “Vault” is a Cache that will hold the asset downloaded from the Launcher.
It’s there so you don’t have to download the asset each time you want to use it.
You don’t edit files in the VaultCache.

When you add an asset from the VC to a project, yes, you are creating a copy, it’s not a shared asset between projects.
When you migrate files, it also creates copies, nothing gets shared between projects.

If you want an asset be accessible by several projects, a shared asset, you could try to utilize Symbolic Links for that purpose.
In essence those are advanced shortcuts that will be treated as if the linked asset folder actually resides in each of your project’s content directories.