Firstly, this is my first post, so be gentle To give a background, I’m using an MBP 2012, with 16GB RAM, and Intel HD Graphics 4000 1GB. I know it’s not the best machine for this, but its temporary, at least for me to pick this up. I’ve got Unreal Engine 4.4.3 installed. I created a blank project, and included the starter content.
I imported a .obj with default settings at the FBX Import Options. You can download the .obj from here: https://www.dropbox/s/t9vlx3jf23p4lj6/Shoe05.obj?dl=0. It was added into the scene, and I could translate, rotate, and scale it.
I then imported its texture map, but got a warning about not being a power of two. It was a 3000x3000 .jpg, so I resized it to 2048x2048. It imported fine. You can download it here: https://www.dropbox/s/u53gx0suhgtbobu/Shoe05_map0.jpg?dl=0 (this is the 3000x3000 .jpg). I right-clicked on the imported .jpg, and clicked Create Material. I then saved.
I dragged the newly created material to the static mesh, and it works great! Static mesh looks great, and the material on it looks great!
Under Play Options, I set it to Standalone Game. I then clicked on Build, then clicked Save. Then, I clicked Play. Some parts of the shoe doesn’t appear right, like there’re patches of black stuff on it. Then, under Play Options, I set it to Mobile Viewer, then clicked Play, the Mobile Viewer came up, but now the static mesh that I imported look really messed up. It looks like shards of glass. The material is no longer correct too.
So here’re my questions:
- Are there any optimized .obj that I should import? Maybe my .obj is too big? Or too small?
- What is the best size for the materials? Is 2048x2048 the it can go? Or is that too big? Maybe I should go smaller?
- How do I get the static mesh to work perfectly fine in Mobile Viewer?
- Also, I notice the chair from the starter content don’t look like high resolution. How do I enable the quality just like on the desktop?
- I’ve tried it on a real device, the iPhone 6, and the issue in Question 4 above persists. From the documentation, it says that it should be all great (green) for iPhone 5s, so am assuming iPhone 6 is gonna be better too
Okay, that’s all the questions I have for now. I’ll have more very soon, but sure hope some of you can lend a hand.