Importing pictures properly

<< Resolved >>

When I import a picture to use in UE 4.5 I simply have dragged it from my storage location into the Hierarchy window and it appears.

Let’s assume for a minute that UE is installed in E:\Unreal and my projects is called One, and it located at E:\unreal\projects\One
my directory is called UI and I am working with a picture called b.bmp located in D:\pics

When I drag B from D:\pics and drop it in UE Hierarchy window, I see the pic and it has a green line under it, I then right click on it and choose create slate brush, and that has a red line under it… and I can use it in a border.

But, when I go to E:\unreal\projects\One\UI there is no b.bmp there but, there is a b.uasset.

What does the green line under each thing mean in the editor and can I delete either one of them?

What is the proper way to import assets so they are in the Directory I want them in?

Thank you in advance for your help.

All assets get converted into a uasset file. The original file stays where it is and if you need to make changes to it then you can save over it and then go back to UE4 and right click on the item and click Reimport. Make sure that your textures use dimensions that are a power of 2, the green is not a part of the image (at least it shouldn’t be).

I really hate to ask this… but… what is the “power of two” I have read that you need it for LOD’s … but… not needed for like pictures…

and thank you for such a fast response

Power of two sizes are anything you can get to by raising 2 to an exponent.
2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, etc…

If a texture is a power of two size in each direction, you can cut it in half, and then in half again, and again. This allows you to have lower resolution textures on further away objects.

Mipmap_illustration2.png

You don’t need it for things like GUI textures because they’re not going to get further away.

If it is a single picture or a painting or something that you dont need to tile or use for several places then it is fine to have it in non-power of two dimensions. For general use though it causes noise and other weird stuff if you use non-power of two textures, as the image’s mipmaps wont be adjusted in distance.

thank you guys…

I swear, this is like going to another country and they speak another lang. LOL…

thank you all for the answers.