Importing from Blender and Additional Questions

Hi everyone,

I know how to import from Blender, but I have a few questions about good practices and problems that I’m facing.

1.) I don’t know how to import an .fbx file as one. For instance, I’m on a website and I see a car. If I import it, I will get dozens and dozens of files being imported from just that one file. Also, even if all those files are dependent on a single file that I can click on to get the entire car, I don’t see it.

2.) Now, if it is possible to import an object as one (what my first question was about), then it would be great if I can move the inner objects of the entire object (or better worded as map). For instance, let’s say that I imported a house with furniture. It would be great if could relocate the furniture if I so later choose to.

3.) I really want to get good at materials so that my games look nice. I can watch the material series and become a pro or I can just use my knowledge with Blender. The thing is, I really don’t know how good my objects would look in Unreal Engine game without using its native materials. Basically, I think that it would be better using Unreal Engine’s materials, even though you can really make nice-looking materials in Blender, if you know how to render, of course. I’m also thinking about just being good at producing cinematic scenes in Blender instead of Unreal Engine. I’m not trying to be lazy; I like learning, but I feel that I can be better at producing games if I limit all the different things I need to get really good at. I rather be a master at a few than to have a lot of skills, but at the intermediate level.

Thanks

Unless a file is designed to be imported into UE4 then downloading an FBX file likely isn’t going to turn out well if you try to import it. Normally, you’d need to import into your 3D program first and set it up correctly for UE4 and then export it again.
You can make an object into a single static mesh by checking the Combine Meshes option when you import into UE4. However, you can’t split the object apart after that, it is as a single mesh even if it is made up of multiple meshes.

It’s good to keep the tools that you use to a low number, but for games texturing you’re probably better off using something like Quixel Suite or Substance to create your game materials. Otherwise, you’d have to translate your textures to be used properly in the UE4 materials.

Hi Darthviper107,

I would like to say thanks for reading my post and addressing everything that was brought up.

“You can make an object into a single static mesh by checking the Combine Meshes option when you import into UE4. However, you can’t split the object apart after that, it is as a single mesh even if it is made up of multiple meshes.”

Yeah, that was my original thought, but separating them, like you said, wouldn’t be possible. Fortunately, it isn’t too much trouble much setting up everything in a 3rd-party application to your liking and then importing the map without any further modification.

As far as Quixel Suite and Substance, I’m not familiar with those and I will look into them.

Thanks again!