Importing datasmith and opening project takes forever!... 'preparing static meshes (60,000)'

Hi all,

I work as a 3D visualiser for a landscape architect, I normally use either Lumion or Enscape for rendering, more so for the speed of workflow than quality. I’m currently working on one of our projects in UE5, the intention being to showcase what UE5 can do - I have some experience with UE5 but not a great deal so I am having a few issues I hope you can help with.

I have my 3D models in Rhino and have used Datasmith for export, I initially tried the direct Rhino 3DM export but there were some odd artefacts and ‘extra’ meshes that came through - initially Datasmith worked well on my base model, now I’m importing a larger building model. Yesterday this import took over an hour, the message from UE5 was ‘preparing mesh cards’. I then saved the project and closed - now opening it today and it’s over an hour now and the message is 'preparing static meshes (60,000) - so my question is whether I should be importing in a different way. UE5 seems to read every mesh individually so I end up with thousands of ‘breps’ - is there a way it can bring these meshes through by layer or by material so I don’t end up with so many ‘breps’ - selecting them and applying materials takes a long time.

Thanks for any help,

Martin

1 Like

Hi Martin/Gooner_442 !

I would suggest having a look at Dataprep, to create recipes that will merge and clean out your model when importing your Rhino Datasmith export in the Engine.

Cheers !
Antoine