Importing Custom Weapons into ARK DevKit

Hey! So i’m new to using the ARK Dev Kit, and i’m wondering how would I go about importing some custom meshes into the game and using them as the first person rig. So far i’ve gone into Game>PrimalEarth>Human>Female & exported the Human_Female_FPV skeletal mesh to fbx so I can import it into 3DS Max, after that, I started rigging it in 3ds max and all…

So after exporting the model to fbx from 3ds max, and trying to import it into the devkit, I get the following errors

Anyone know how I would go about creating a custom weapon in the devkit and setting it up properly? Any help would be appreciated!

For your specific importing error, when in 3dsmax you want to open the schematic view and delete whats at the top. It has something to do with the export / import process I’m guessing. When importing into 3dsmax it takes the name of the model that is weighted to the bones and makes it the root. For your file, when you open the schematic view you’ll probably see the root bone named “root” and above it will be human_female_FPV, you want to delete that. In doing so it will separate the actual human_female_fpv which is the model, you shouldn’t need to reattach it as it should be weighted to the bones anyway. Hope that gets you started!

you dont need to do anything with human FPV and TPV

i used maya in mine i importet my m249 as a obj to maya and then i importet the assault rifle as a FBX in to maya and puttet my m249 in the same position as the assault rifle then i unbindend the skin and delete only the assault riffle mesh and then i selected all the bones and binded it to my m249 and after that i weight paintet my m249 on the assault rifle inj root(white) and paintet the rest of the bones black after that i exportet it out as a FBX and importet it to ADK and chosed the assault rifle skeleton in the mesh in the import options

i used maya in mine i importet my m249 as a obj to maya and then i importet the assault rifle as a FBX in to maya and puttet my m249 in the same position as the assault rifle then i unbindend the skin and delete only the assault riffle mesh and then i selected all the bones and binded it to my m249 and after that i weight paintet my m249 on the assault rifle inj root(white) and paintet the rest of the bones black after that i exportet it out as a FBX and importet it to ADK and chosed the assault rifle skeleton in the mesh in the import options
[/QUOTE]

Exactly how it’s done. Except I have troubles when trying to replace any in-game bow with a custom bow. But im able to replace every other weapon. That’s the only issue I’ve run into so far!

haven’t tryed with the bow but isn’t that becuase you need to combine the bows with the arrows?

Ill look into that, thanks!!

[/QUOTE]

I did basically everything you said, but when I try to replace the skeletal mesh to the new one in game/primalearth/coreblueprints/weapons/weaprifle, and run it, once I select the weapon, Unreal crashes with this error

"Fatal error!

Unhandled Exception: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION reading address 0x00000040

UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff9f6d5d8b5) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff9f6d5d829) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor-ShooterGame.dll!AShooterWeapon::PlayWeaponAnimation() (0x00007ff9ec9f4358) + 0 bytes [f:\ue4\unrealengine\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shooterweapon.cpp:1371]
UE4Editor-ShooterGame.dll!AShooterWeapon::OnEquip() (0x00007ff9ec9f3a57) + 0 bytes [f:\ue4\unrealengine\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shooterweapon.cpp:361]
UE4Editor-ShooterGame.dll!AShooterCharacter::SetCurrentWeapon() (0x00007ff9ec917ffb) + 0 bytes [f:\ue4\unrealengine\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shootercharacter.cpp:1319]
UE4Editor-ShooterGame.dll!AShooterCharacter::GivePrimalItemWeapon() (0x00007ff9ec90ed8e) + 14 bytes [f:\ue4\unrealengine\projects\shootergame\source\shootergame\private\shootercharacter.cpp:1005]
UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff9f6b44eac) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff9f6b8ef95) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor-Engine.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff9f67d5be3) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff9f49c12c2) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor-UnrealEd.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff9f4e25246) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor.exe!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff738899464) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor.exe!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff73888ed0f) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor.exe!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff73888ed7a) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor.exe!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff73889aae0) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
UE4Editor.exe!UnknownFunction (0x00007ff73889ba19) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
KERNEL32.DLL!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffa3b662d92) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffa3c259f64) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
ntdll.dll!UnknownFunction (0x00007ffa3c259f64) + 0 bytes [UnknownFile:0]
"

these are the steps I did

1. export "game/primalearth/weaponrifle/"RifleFPV as fbx
  2. import RifleFPV.fbx into 3DS Max
  3. import my custom gun, align it the same
  4. unbind the bones from the old gun
  5. delete the old gun mesh
  6. bind the new bones to the new gun mesh
  7. export to fbx with smoothing groups
  8. import into unreal as skeletal mesh
    these are the import settings
  9. open “game/primalearth/coreblueprints/weapons/weaprifle” change the mesh1p to my new imported mesh
  10. run the game, try to select the weapon
  11. crash occurs here

can anyone help out here?

Looks like you aren’t selecting the skeleton when importing. Select the rifle fpv as your skeleton when importing.

Any updates on this ?
I am facing the same problem.
Importing skeleton did not solve the pb.
Thanks