Importing Cinema4D Animation to Unreal Engine 4

Can anyone help me work out how to get animations from Cinema4D into UE4? I’ve managed to import it as a FBX but the animation doesn’t pass through no matter what import/export settings I use. Also, is there a way to combine the mesh as one and keep the material IDs rather than importing the animation and it breaking the mesh apart into it’s separate geometry. Thanks!

Hello there I am a long term C4D user. I will admit C4D has game dev to be the last thing on their mind. But we can make it work. I am currently using R18, started from R11.

In order to not break the object into million pieces first select all the pieces, right click and select “Connect Object + Delete”.

You can now delete the separated mesh and save the connected one as a new file.
Then hit Mesh>Commands>Optimize (just to get rid of any vertex issues). When you combine C4D automatically keeps the IDs in place with polygon tag.

When exporting FBX, make sure to select, Tracks and if its non skeletal mesh then “bake all frames”.
See this youtube tutorial for better help :

Baking and importing animations from C4D to Unreal Engine 4 :slight_smile:

Cinema 4D R14: Export Animation To UE4

There is a CV-C4D plugin to help c4d users : Cinema 4D Plugin: CV-C4D to UE4 - YouTube

just noticed the asking date. Hope it helps someone or other.

Thanks! I didn’t manage to get past this so ended up using Maya instead but C4D is the preferred 3D suite of choice

Its same for me, ended up learning Maya for a lot of game compatibility reasons. Coming from C4D its a steep learning curve. But Maya is most compatible with UE4, the ART tool for character rigging, the scale and loads of plugins. I really wish Maxon would pay attention to game devs, its an important field. They are too much into film and vfx.