Imported mesh does not look smooth

I have a mesh that is not getting imported into Unreal properly well. Its polygons, and jaggedness are visibile to some degree. It seems like it is related to normal computation problem. However, if I open the mesh in Unreal mesh editor window, and from the tab, “Mesh Editing”, I press on “Edit mode” then I save the mesh, problem gets resolved. The problem with this trick is that, I cannot save this effect, on editor quit and reopen, I have to do that again. Also, since I am dealing with a complex mesh, it takes ages, if I want to individually do that process for them. Below you find the processes I have already tried.

1. Importing it with DataSmith as “.wire” file to have more control over the normal generation, it helped but it was not enough.
  2. Exporting it with “Smoothing Group” and “Smoothing Mesh” from Maya as an FBX file, it helped but it was not enough (same as step one).
  3. Importing it to Unreal with “built-in” or “Mikk TSpace” with or without “compute normals”. It was not helpful.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Before pressing on Edit mesh:

After pressing on Edit mesh:

Hi there,

I encounter same issue. Did you managed to find how to fix this?
It seems only affecting smoothed shade and translucent material.

At that time, I could not solve it. I also talked about it with Unreal Support team. It was very strange to them. I checked it again with 4.25.3. The issue has never happened again.With which version are you testing?

This solved my problem :slight_smile: