Imported Materials missing texture inputs, is there a way to fix texture references in the material?

Hey everyone,
So I brought over some materials from one computer to another, and was hoping to place them in a different location in the content folder on the new computer. When I open up the material it gives me the standard “missing texture input” error because it’s looking for the specified textures in the old content folder location.

This isn’t a big issue when working with materials that have only a few texture inputs, but when working with larger materials that contain a dozen texture inputs it can be difficult to figure out which texture is missing and then manually re-assign that texture within the material. The main issue with the manual approach is that I can’t tell what the specific texture is when selecting the texture sample node that is missing that texture input, it just shows up as empty so I don’t know which texture to assign to it(I could go to the material in the old computer but that computer is no longer functional).

If I open up the material in the reference viewer, I can see the missing textures that are being referenced by the material(where they are located, what they are named, everything I want!), but I can’t seem to figure out how to fix these references, I basically just want to redirect the references to the textures new location.

To put it in basic terms, when you work with a program such as Adobe Premiere Pro, you bring in some movie files and work on your project, but then later you maybe move those files manually to another location or a different hard drive. When you open up that project again in Premiere, you will get an error stating that it can’t find the files, and it asks you to relocate them, and usually it’s pretty smart about it and when you locate one of the files and the other missing files are in that new location, it will recognize this and fix all the missing file references.

It seems that this would be a pretty standard feature to avoid manually fixing mass amounts of missing texture references in materials, or to at least leave the original file reference information within the texture sample node so that I could somewhat manage doing the manual re-assign without being completely blind as to what texture goes with which texture slot.

Any ideas?

I’ve the same issue. Any answers would be appreciated.

I think the best way would be to export from the project with all the assets you want to the new project. When you export an asset all the asset that are referenced by the object get transferred with the object.

I also have the same problem,
when I open someones game-assets and I want to migrate couple of materials, I click Migrate, selecting folder, everything is copying, but all links to textures are lost and sometimes materials soo complicated I can’t even recreate it. Is it a bug?

It has to be a bug since i have the same problem on the newest version of unreal, almost of all my imported textures/meshes have their textures missing, it loads them at first in the library window but when u add to scene or edit it updates that the textures are missing, somethings wrong here and i cant dev like this at all, going back another build to see if the problem persists.

I the solution is for you to migrate the root folder (not the content folder) but the folder containing the assets you want to migrate and paste into the project content folder that you want to be migrated. Worked with me

no that doesnt work, i am using version 4.22 and if i try and open a scene made in earlier versions, all the textures are not link to the meshes or the spawners. any ideas?

Hello Guys,

i run in the same trouble as you. But i have gotten a solution for me. In my case i was fighting with references from Material-Instances and BP-References.
So my solution:

Open the project-Content with the Windows-Exploerer. Then copy the “.assets”-File from the old into the new folder. Perheps you should keep the folder structure.

I hope i could help you in 2020 (UE4 24.1) :wink:

1 Like

Theres a whole redirects system:

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…cts/index.html

Not documented for some reason (in DefaultGame.ini), this worked once upon a time but I tested it and it doesn’t seem to any more.

[/Script/Engine.AssetManagerSettings]
+AssetPathRedirects=(Old="/Game/Textures/Colours/White.White",New="/Game/MedPrototype/Textures/Colours/White.White")

Here’s another possible solution. I found that if i migrate, for example my Materials & textures folder directly into the main Content folder, it works with no issues. Dropping them in further down the hierarchy caused lost links.

2 Likes

Wow, I really hope this is something that gets fixed someday…

It seems that there really ought to be a way to migrate and re-path assets at the same time to give us options when managing files and folders. I have a folder of 399 assets (linked maps, materials and meshes) that I want to copy from “content/thirdparty/speedtree” to “content/project/speedtree”… This should take about 15 seconds, right? Um… maybe not? If we migrate using the asset action to any folder except “content”, we get a duplicate of the part of the tree that was under “content”, so the above migration would put my files in “content/project/speedtree/thirdpary/speedtree”??? It seems like UE should be smart enough to be able to ask whether I want to copy just the subfolder and update the relative paths, or recreate the full destination path.

This setup makes UE difficult to manage merging multiple projects and sharing assets across projects which is a very common situation in AEC visualization.

-Donald

maybe I find a way to solve this.

my situation is: I download the openland project from github and want to use its landscape materials but it show texture at first then after my applying, it lost.

solution: make sure the relative path of your new imported assets is the same as the old or someone else’s (where you download it)