Import multiple FBX from blender without materials but i can apply material to only one meshe in UE4

Hello,

I would like to import a building into UE4 from MIAO Design but MIAO cannot build a correct IFC file, so i try to Export a Collada File, but when i export it on blender, i have to split the meshe into multiple parts by differents materials, it work well so i can export multiply FBX files on UE4, But when i import them (without materials), i’m able to modify the material of only one Meshe. the other meshes don’t accept textures but only basic color when i try.

Anyone get a idea ?

Hi Lsteack,

This is quite a pipeline, one I’m not familiar with, but I can offer my insight.

When Unreal imports a model, it looks at the materials assigned to it from the software that it was exported from (Blender in your case I think). So whatever was assigned there, is going to come in. If you just want one material, the entire model must have the same one assigned to all pieces.

I don’t quite follow this. Textures don’t go onto meshes, materials do. I assume you mean this, but I don’t understand the basic color part, this sounds like it’s the wrong material applied (a basic one).

I also don’t quite understand being able to modify the material of only one mesh. If there is more than one material slot, they will be listed on that mesh to edit. If there is only one slot, that should apply to the entire model.

Hello ConradG

Thx for the help.

“I don’t quite follow this. Textures don’t go onto meshes, materials do” → Yes , for sure, i was talking about materials.
Sorry if i use the wrong term, i’m still learning UE4 and english.

The thing is, in my exemple, i subdivided my model into 38 different meshes With blender but when i apply the same material to every meshe, it work only for one, the others take a simple color near to the texture from the material.

But when i try to put a simple material like glass wich don’t get texture into material, it Will work.

I tried tons of options for the FBX import, but everytime this result.

I already left my work space but i Will try to reproduce my test at my house to give you some screenshoots quickly !

No worries Lsteack.

This sounds like it does not have UVs to properly receive textures. Glass working makes sense because it doesn’t need a texture map. And you say that it takes color near your texture colors, meaning that it’s probably grabbing the first pixel for the whole thing since UV’s don’t exist. I don’t know blender, but perhaps a box unwrap could work to test if this solves the problem.

Yeah, it could be UVs, i don’t understand well this aspect of materials yet.

But UVs are attached to materials and not to meshes , right ? (The UVs is “map space” dependent or mesh coordinate dependent ?)
So why my material could work on one meshe but not the others (in the case i import my meshes With or without the blender material).

I Will learn more about UVs to do some test, thx for this possible way !

Think of it this way. You’ve got a 2D texture and it needs to appear on the 3D model. Therefore, the model needs to tell how 2D textures (any) should be placed (or mapped). The UV’s are part of the model.

Oh okay, this is the flaten and cuten version of a mesh.
So it’s a missing data from my meshes except the first one

I undestand now why you talked about “box unwrap” earlier.

Thx for the help !

Great! Yeah, the flat unfolded version of the mesh, that’s UVs indeed. Doing a quick UV process on it is to see if it is the problem, because maybe it isn’t!

I already tested it and it was a Uvs problem, Thx for the help.

1 Like