Import fbx results in crash

Everytime I try to import a fbx model into the content browser in unreal engine 4.9 it crashes and I get this error message:

MachineId:500DAEA841022DA33587708165D95310
EpicAccountId:b834597ef1d24241b517f0486cfee54d

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

“”

UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UnFbx::GetImportOptions() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\fbx\fbxmainimport.cpp:69]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UFbxFactory::FactoryCreateBinary() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\fbx\fbxfactory.cpp:206]
UE4Editor_UnrealEd!UFactory::StaticImportObject() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\editor\unrealed\private\factories\factory.cpp:312]
UE4Editor_AssetTools!FAssetTools::ImportAssets() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\developer\assettools\private\assettools.cpp:917]
UE4Editor_AssetTools!FAssetTools::ImportAssets() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\developer\assettools\private\assettools.cpp:536]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SContentBrowser::ImportAsset() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\scontentbrowser.cpp:744]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!SContentBrowser::HandleImportClicked() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\editor\contentbrowser\private\scontentbrowser.cpp:735]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TMemberFunctionCaller<SContentBrowser,FReply (cdecl SContentBrowser::)(void) _ptr64>::operator()<>() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstanceinterface_variadics.h:161]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TTupleImpl<TIntegerSequence<> >::ApplyAfter_ExplicitReturnType<FReply,TMemberFunctionCaller<SContentBrowser,FReply (__cdecl SContentBrowser::
)(void) ptr64> >() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates uple.h:113]
UE4Editor_ContentBrowser!TBaseSPMethodDelegateInstance<0,SContentBrowser,0,FReply cdecl(void)>::Execute() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegateinstancesimpl_variadics.inl:282]
UE4Editor_Slate!TBaseDelegate<FReply>::Execute() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\public\delegates\delegatesignatureimpl_variadics.inl:440]
UE4Editor_Slate!SButton::OnMouseButtonUp() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\widgets\input\sbutton.cpp:236]
UE4Editor_Slate!<lambda_df946b2745ea2bbab398d4acc9cc3d04>::operator()() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4273]
UE4Editor_Slate!FEventRouter::Route<FReply,FEventRouter::FToLeafmostPolicy,FPointerEvent,<lambda_df946b2745ea2bbab398d4acc9cc3d04> >() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine
++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:214]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::RoutePointerUpEvent() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4276]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::ProcessMouseButtonUpEvent() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4660]
UE4Editor_Slate!FSlateApplication::OnMouseUp() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\slate\private\framework\application\slateapplication.cpp:4638]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessDeferredMessage() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1403]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::DeferMessage() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:1708]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::ProcessMessage() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:706]
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsApplication::AppWndProc() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsapplication.cpp:628]
user32
user32
UE4Editor_Core!FWindowsPlatformMisc::PumpMessages() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\windows\windowsplatformmisc.cpp:884]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::Tick() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:2392]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:142]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]

at first I figured maybe something is wrong with my mesh, then I tried to import a simple cube with the same result, so what am I doing wrong and how can i fix this, I can’t really work on my game ideas if I can’t even import my meshes.

If you haven’t already, try looking up the issue on the UE4 AnswerHub.

I had a similar problem. Turns out I had installed 3ds 2016, which defaults to FBX version 2016 on export. 2015 and 2014 borh default to FBX version 2014, which is the latest that UE4 supports currently.

I was hoping switching to 2014/2015 ersion would help, I even turned on triangulate, but the results were the same, it still crashes

Which 3d program do you use? + could you upload one of those meshes to that we can test it? :slight_smile:

I use maya 2016, i will upload later on answerhub

I’m having the same issue since getting Maya 2016 as well. If possible please link me to the answer hub this is making me crazy. Getting crashes even when trying to import a cube.

Update:
All of us updating our programs need to realize that newer .fbx files crash UE 4. I’ve changed my export options to 2014 and have no issues importing .