Import fbx animation in range /broken? / bug?

I have made an animation in maya exported in fbx.
In this file the box open , and close. Its 1 animation that open from frame 0- to 42 and close from frame 43-83

I can import correctly the skeletal mesh with the box. (if i import the full animation , it will play perfectly)
After importing the SK i export from maya the Anim_OPEN fbx , and the Anim_CLOSE fbx…
Both those files have the complete animation.

So i import them in unreal.
if i set the import animation length to “Exported Time” , i get the animation complete.
if i set the import animation length to “Animated Time” , i get the animation complete.
If i set the import animation length to "Set Range " i get those result.

I set the Whole animation length so from 0 to 83: i get an animation of 63 frames, not complete.
I set the Opening part , so from 0 to 43: i get an animation of 14 frames. not complete.
i set the Closing part , so from 43 to 83:
i get an animation of 60 frames, that star before and dont end properly …

For now the only way to get the right part of the animation is importing them at full lenght and cropping them in unreal ,

Used all the combination of , bake animation & resample eulers and quaternion i know.

Hi Est_engine,

Have you tried exporting just the frames you want per animation from Maya? In the following example, the length of the entire animation is 180 frames. Adjusting the slider to 30 frames and positioning it at frame 60 results in only frames 60-90 being exported, while keeping your overall animtaion in tact. You can choose any amount of frames you want as long as the beginning frame is showing at start and ending frame showing at the end, as in this example:

Sure , thanks man , i know how crop the animation in maya , i was just pointing the finger on this bug, if is a bug. :slight_smile:

Hi Est_Engine,

Can I see your fbx export settings? I just want to ensure they’re the same as what I’m using.

So i import them in unreal. if i set the import animation length to “Exported Time” , i get the animation complete. if i set the import animation length to “Animated Time” , i get the animation complete. If i set the import animation length to "Set Range " i get those result.

I’ll address “Exported Time” first. I decided to set up some test assets to confirm, but “Exported Time” imports whatever your Playback Range was in Maya when you exported the FBX. “Animated Time” grabs whatever range you chose to bake out on export:

62861-fbx_animrange.png

I’m just posting that for clarity on the expected behavior.

I set the Whole animation length so
from 0 to 83: i get an animation of 63
frames, not complete. I set the
Opening part , so from 0 to 43: i get
an animation of 14 frames. not
complete. i set the Closing part , so
from 43 to 83: i get an animation of
60 frames, that star before and dont
end properly …

Regarding this, I don’t know what could be happening, but could you please send in the asset in question so that we can experiment with it? Preferably the original Maya Binary file as well as the fbx files you’ve been exporting. If you’d rather not upload it publicly here on AH, you can upload a zip file to cloud storage and [PM me][2] the link in the .

• W.

EDIT: It could be that you aren’t baking on export. Alternatively you can bake on import with the “Use Default Sample Rate” option. Note that the default sample rate is 30fps, so this is only good for 30fps animations.

Here is my fbx, i have made some screenshot , from maya to unreal an settings.
Yep , the setting ““time exported”” work fine.
its the setting , ““set range”” that using the same fbx , get strange result.

Let me know if i am doing something wrong .

For clarity, this fbx may dont have same timing than above…
You can see all the animation information in the screenshots.
[

]1

Select: “Use Default Sample Rate” will resolve the issue.

Looks like your Maya scene is in 24 fps and the FBX was baked down at 24fps. Please switch it over to 30fps and rebake the animation. I’d suggest you ensure that your scenes use the Working Time Unit of 30fps. Especially while you’re animating to begin with.

62995-fps_settings.png

I brought your fbx back into maya and changed the time to 30fps and then re-exported the scene, baking it at 30fps. What was previously frames 42-60 are now 52-75. It properly imported the “Close” animation in it’s entirety.

EDIT: You can make 30fps your default for new scenes from the New Scene options menu

1 Like

Thanks man :slight_smile: