Import curves to unreal

Hi,

Anyone managed to figure out how to bring curves from rhino or blender to unreal engine as splines? I’ve seen some “hack” tutorial on YT about how to get splines from 3ds max but I’m not using max and I don’t know if there is another way to import curves/splines

1 Like

Does DataSmith support it? It’s a plugin in UE which is for transferring content from external programs to Unreal, and there’s a few doc pages about it.

I actually just tried datasmith, super nice it can do cad meshes but I wasn’t able to import curves sadly. I wasn’t able to Google find anything on the topic either. I don’t get it, I would expect it would be pretty important feature since unreal doesn’t have cad like tools for splines.

How about a live link?

1 Like

[quote=“presto423, post:4, topic:151428”]

How about a live link?
https://youtube.com/watch?v=5ZqwoocQ2xc[/QUOTE]

this is still about surfaces and meshes.I’m looking to import curves as curves… or in unreal terminology, splines. But it doesn’t seem there is an option to import object as splines.
Or maybe some conversion method could work, going from mesh to splines. But then again I don’t know how it would work with tangents.

1 Like

Hi @UElaci I just wrote a plugin that imports blender Splines/Curves if you still need it.

1 Like

That’d be very useful if you can share it!

1 Like

yes, i would be inerested in this also, pls share! this Nurbs marketplace pack appears to only allow creation and modification of nurbs within UE4, but not importing them: thttps://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace/en-US/product/procedural-nurbs-curves-and-surfaces

1 Like

For splines from max to unreal, here is a script “hack” from Epic, but its not a standard feature: Spline Importing | Live Training | Unreal Engine - YouTube
may we dream of UE5 supporting Nurbs, T-Splines, sub-D ?

1 Like

The previous link to the plugin is a 404 page now.
New Link for the plugin to import the splines is here:

2 Likes

Is support for 4.22 possible? I use that version a lot. I wouldn’t hesitate to purchase the source version of your plugin if I could import into 4.22. Many thanks.

Hi, I can not confirm nor deny support for 4.22. The thing is the plugin was initially developed on 4.24. Now, from 4.24 to 5.0 there haven’t been any API changes. Meaning the same source for 4.24 is the same source in all versions all the way to 5.0. To confirm I would have to download 4.22 and test it.

1 Like

Thanks for investigating. I look forward to being able to use Blender exported splines in 4.22. If it’s not feasible then I’ll still possibly have use for this once I migrate some projects to 5.1 - when released. Cheers!