Import Agisoft Camera Alignment

As the title suggests, I want to know if it is possible to import the camera alignment from Agisoft Metashape? I am running a model over a forest and Reality Capture is having a hard time aligning the cameras over the area, while Agisoft metashape successfully aligned. I need my model to be produced in Reality Capture, so I am wondering if there is a way to import the alignment from Agisoft and run the project in Reality Capture.

Hi GarethOReilly,

there is a way, you need to export bundler.out file from that software and use it in RealityCapture.

Bundle-Out has become a standard in academia. RealityCapture allows direct loading of bundle-out projects.

How to open a bundle-out project:

• Click on the application logo in the top-left corner to open the file menu.
  • Select Open (ctrl+O).
  • Change the file extension type to Bundle-out project.
  • Select your .out file and confirm the selection by clicking the Open button or using the (ctrl+O) shortcut.

After opening a bundle-out project, you do not need to run alignment again. You can continue and directly calculate a 3D model.

Bundle-Out import restrictions:

• Images are named as number.jpg, e.g., 55.jpg or 00055.jpg. In the latter, the file name is always at most 5 letters long. Only the jpeg file format is supported. Image numbering starts with 0 or 1 and, depending on the N-1 or N ending, where N is the number of images.
  • Images are assumed to be undistorted.
  • Distortion model is ignored.

Thank you very much for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Hi Ondrej Trhan,

I tried using the method you showed above but when I open the bundle.out file in RC it gives a “File not found” error message. Is there a way around this?

Thanks.

Hello Jason,

follow the rules Ondrej sent you and make sure your undistorted images from MS are together with the image list and Bundler (.out) file in the same folder as in the screenshot. It will work, I just tested it.

Hi Jakub,

Thank you very much, I was importing the bundle.out file and the associated .txt into my project that already contained my images. I’ll try to import them all together. Thanks again.

Does anyone know why my model is rotated 90 degrees when I import a bundler.out from agisoft? All photos are taken from a drone. In metashape the orientation is correct.

Hi bassistas, did you follow all mentioned rules from above?

Is your project georeferenced? Do you have set right coordinate system?

Yes, I import the bundler.out and all images successfully according to the mentioned rules above, just the model comes out rotated 90 degrees. All photos are from a drone so they have GPS coordinates, I have set up everything correctly already in metashape. In metashape I also had some laser scans in the project which I used them as a reference to align all the drone photos but as metashape exports them as tiff files  realitycapture couldn’t load them along with the jpegs so I removed these from metashape and then I exported the bundler.out with the photos.  Do I need to change any settings also in realitycapture after the import? 

Hi, is it possible, that it was rotated in Metashape? I tested it and after alignment, when I click number 7, what is a Top view, I can see the model from the side. It seems similar to your case, as the Z axis should point up, not to the side.

Also, did you export in local coordinate system?

Hello, no, in metashape when I click number 7 I see the top view of the model. So it’s correct in metashape and I export in local coordinate system.

When I open the bundle out in realitycapture the front view is the top. Is there a way at least to rotate the model precisely at 90 degrees? I tried the define ground plane tool but this let me rotate the model by mouse only, there is no keyboard input.

Also if I try to start the model creation in normal detail or in preview I always get an error: “operation failed” after a few seconds. So no way to create the model even rotated at 90 degrees.

Hi, you can rotate the alignment according to recontruction region.

Go to Scene 3D tab/Tolls/Mesh model/Info panel (you need to have reconstruction region to activate this tool)

Then rotate the region to a wanted angle and then select Set Ground by Reconstruction Region

About operation failed, is there something else written?

Do you get operation failed also when you don’t rotate the alignment? Can you try clean install (open RealityCapture with pushed SHIFT and there choose Make it like a clean install)?

ok I managed to rotate the model per your instructions but now I’m stuck with the “operation failed” error when I start the creation of the model. I tried also the clean install with shift and still does the same. It does this even if I don’t rotate the alignment. Is there any log file saved somewhere to look for further info regarding this error?

Do you have this error also on some another dataset? Where are your data saved? Which GPU do you have? Are you using this account in the application? Is the operation failed only info or is there also something else written?

Please make sure you do not have any non-latin characters in the paths to your project and images. Please try to clear the cache manually as described here and then again clean install.

ok finally after a lot of tries I found what was causing this error, I had the temp folder path on an SSD which has a second installation of windows inside and there was a write permission issue. When I changed the temp path to another disk it started working perfectly!

Now the only unresolved issue I have is how can I import along with the other photos the aligned .tif  laser scans files from metashape as bundle out. 

It is not possible, you need to import laser scans in E57 or PTX format and RealityCapture is creating its own format (LSP) from these laser scans.